Falling For Her

As Lou calmed down and succumbed into a deep sleep in Debbie's arms, Debbie leaned back and allowed herself to go back into her past and reflect on her past love life disaster. 

    It hurt her to open up old and slowly-healing wounds, but she thought she might do it for Lou's sake, because she really did love Lou, and she knew there would be no way to let her know that for sure until she cleared up her coldness from the past.

    His name was Claude Becker. 

    She recalled the times they had together, how many times she had thought she had found the one, how many times they had told each other they loved the other. 

    Until he had turned her in. 

    Everything went crashing down around her the day she was arrested, and she could still remember, clear as day, the look on Claude's face as he left the interrogation room without a second look behind. She remembered staring after him, too hurt and furious to say anything, and the grudging start of the horrible five years in captivity.

    She'd vowed to herself after that to always hurt and never love, to never let her guard down no matter what, in terms of romance.

    Then along came Lou.

    They'd gone to high school together, and both had the hunger for thievery. Lou had come from an abusive environment, and only agreed to help Debbie steal because she wanted to learn how to be a con artist, and later Debbie helped her have revenge on Lou's family. 

    Debbie always knew that Lou wasn't into boys; she'd been confided in the secret that Lou was lesbian a couple weeks after Debbie and Claude first started dating. Debbie had always considered Lou as merely a friend, and she realized now that she had noticed the bitter face that Lou couldn't help but make every time Claude was with them. Debbie had simply ignored it and avoided the fact why Lou was so bitter.

    But she had always known. She had always known Lou loved her. Sometimes, she would play around with Lou, like a tiger before devouring its prey, tossed around the lovestruck lesbian's feelings like scrambled eggs, and then broke her heart just as Lou gained hope. 

    Why had she done that? Was she smug about her relationship with Claude, and wanted to rub it in Lou's face that she would never have a chance with Debbie?

    How could she have done that?

    Regret and self-loathing overwhelmed her, threatening to choke her, and she tightened her grip around the woman who had always been patiently waiting for her all this time, the woman who never stopped loving her even while her heart was being broken over and over again. She wished with all her heart for Lou to somehow know how sorry she was, and how she knew now, and how sorry she was, all over again, that it took so long to realize that Lou was the one she loved. 

    Lou.

    Debbie leaned down so that her lips brushed against Lou's ear. 

    "I love you," she breathed.

    Lou stirred and opened her eyes, and Debbie wondered how she had never really appreciated how blue they were, like the color of the sky was when they first met.

    Debbie expected her to say something, but Lou simply smiled and snuggled up closer to her.