*12*

*3rd P.O.V.*

"Mai, you gotta wake up now." Kakashi said as he shook the small silver-haired girl who was currently hugging her teddy as she slept curled up in her bed.

Mai's nose scrunched up slightly before her eyes began to slowly flutter open.

"Kuro...." Mai called out quietly. "Lend me your eyes please.."

Kakashi watched as the young girl closed her glossy lilac eyes. He also watched as they slowly fluttered back open to reveal a pair of cerulean eyes.

The girl slowly sat up and just stared down for a moment before looking over at Kakashi.

"Kaka?" She questioned as she tilted her head to the side.

"Ah. Todays your first day so you should get ready." Kakashi explained. "I can walk you to class today but after that, you'll have to get there on your own so you'll have to memorize the path we take."

"Un." Mai said as she crawled off her bed and made her way towards her closet.

Kakashi smiled as he made his way towards the door leading out into the hall. "I'll wait for you in the kitchen."

Mai just ignored him as she walked into her closet, quickly getting ready. Once she was done, she walked over to her bed and scooped Kurochi up and into her arms, gently squeezing him in her arms.

Despite the calm look she had on her face, she was quite nervous for her first day of school. Shes never been to school. Shes also nervous and scared that she won't be able to make any friends.

Shaking her head, she walked out of her room and towards the kitchen. Kakashi, who was currently reading his book while sitting at the table, could hear her approaching and looked up from his novel.

"Ah, you're ready. Here, you can eat this on your way there." He said as he stood up and handed the child a red apple before making his way towards the front door where he slipped into his sandals. Mai mimicked his actions and slipped into her own sandals. Not wanting to eat the apple just yet she decided to just put it into the pocket of her jacket.

Grabbing onto Kakashi's hand the two made their way out of the apartment and made their way towards the academy.

"Are you excited?" Kakashi asked while reading his book and walking at the same time.

"Un." Mai nodded. She was excited to do as her mama asked her to do and start making friends.

It didn't take long for the two to reach the Academy. Approaching the entrance, Kakashi slid the doors open and made his way in and towards Mai's class. He already knew where it was as the Hokage had told him the day before.

Reaching the door, Kakashi stuck his book into his ninja pouch before raising his fist and knocking on the door.

The two waited for a moment before the door opened to reveal a woman in her mid to late twenties with brown hair.

The woman looked down at Mai in confusion before looking up at Kakashi

The woman looked down at Mai in confusion before looking up at Kakashi. She repeated this process of looking between the two about three more times as a tick mark slowly grew on her forehead as realization slowly dawned on her.

"Nice of you to finally bring her Kakashi...." The woman gritted out angrily as she glared at the silver-haired anbu. "Even though school started 4 hours ago!"

Mai's eyes widened considerably before she turned to look at her silver-haired guardian in utter shock, disbelief, and horror.

"Ah, sorry about that. A black cat crossed our paths so we had to take the long way around." Kakashi apologized. Mai's eyes just widened more at his sorry excuse for a lie.

The teacher just sighed at his sorry excuse. She honestly should have expected this when she found out who the guardian of her newest student was. Shaking her she simply just smiled and crouched down in front of Mai.

"Hi there. You're Mai right?" She asked the small girl. Said girl nodded in response as she clutched onto her bear. "That's good. I'm Ms.Wendy and I'll be your teacher until you graduate in the next 3 or 4 years! I hope we get along."

Mai nodded towards her new teacher. Back in the Akatsuki, the members would all take turns teaching Mai so this would be the first time she actually attended a school.

"Well, ill be taking my leave then." Kakashi said as he let go of Mai's hand and started making his way back down the hall. "Oh, I'll be here at the end of the day to pick you back up."

Mai watched him as he turned the corner before facing her teacher. "Well, why don't we meet the others." She said as she held her hand out to the girl.

Nodding her head, Mai grabbed her and walked into the room with the teacher. Looking around the room, Mai took notice of all the other children staring at her in wonder.

"Class, I would like for you all to meet Mai Kurochi. She's new to the village and I'm sure she would love to make some new friends." Ms.Wendy explained. "Why don't you go and take a seat."

Mai nodded before making her way forwards. Finding an empty seat in the back, she sat down and paid attention hoping to not mess up on her first day.

'I hope this goes well...'

*Time Skip*

"Hokage-sama, I really don't think Mai Kurochi should be placed in my class," Ms.Wendy explained to Hiruzen who was sitting before her.

"Hmm....and why do you say so?" The old man questioned.

Ms.Wendy sighed before beginning her explanations on her beliefs. "Ever since Mai has joined our class a week ago I have noticed that she is exceptionally talented and smart. Shes well above her age group. At first, I thought it was just because she paid attention well in class but when I tested her one some advanced techniques and knowledge she passed with a perfect score and even corrected me on one of the questions!" Ms. Wendy explained all in one breath. She then reached into the ninja pouch on her thigh and pulled out a stack of papers, handing them to the Hokage. "Here, take a look for yourself. You can even test her again with jutsus, accuracy and so on if you want."

Hiruzen let out a puff of his pipe before looking over the papers. He was indeed quite shocked by the girl's intelligence and quickly picked up on the fact that she could most likely be another prodigy.

"Now sir, just because I said Mai shouldn't be in my class I don't think she should be tossed right into the ninja world. I believe she should at least be placed in the class graduating in these upcoming few weeks so she can get along with the other kids well so she can be acquainted already with her future teammates. " the brown-haired teacher explained as a small smile appeared on her face. "Despite her quietness and small stature, she is such a kind and bright little girl."

The older Male of authority thought over what the female before him said for a while before nodding. "I have made my decision. Bring me Kakashi."