1

"Shit!" that's all he had time to say before his car hit the oncoming car. He was playing a game of chicken and he lost. He hadn't meant to play chicken, but he just had to get that bastard. Now, not only is he not getting that asshole he might have killed some innocent people.

Ignoring his own pains he manages to get out of the car. He notices that his driver is able to get out as well. Good, at least he hadn't killed any of his own men.

He gets a sick feeling when he realizes that the two people in the other car aren't moving. Either the young girl and the man are unconscious or dead. He hopes to hell that they are only unconscious.

He and his driver manage to force the back doors open. He breathes a sigh of relief as he feels the girl's pulse.

He starts swearing sulphurously when he doesn't feel one in the man.

"Boss, the girl, she's restrained." His man tells him. He had carefully removed her from the car.

The first man comes quickly out of the car. He hadn't noticed it before but the girl is bruised and battered far more than she should be for this accident. He holds his hand out for a knife and when his driver gives him one he cuts the ties holding her wrists together.

There is blood where the tie had been and her hands are swollen and discolored. "Whoever this is, someone hates her."

The first man conducts a general first aid looking for broken bones. She groans as he touches her ribs. Grimly he lifts up her shirt, as he suspected there are dark bruises on her ribs and torso. This looks like a professional job. Something he's done more than once.

"Find out who the fuck did this to her and see if you can get a name for her." Dave's voice is cold and icy. He's done his share of torture and has even done so to females, but none this young. He doubts that she's even sixteen.

"Hudson Devlin, gives an address, but the photo doesn't match the driver." Zander tells his boss as he goes through the identification found on the dead man.

Just then another vehicle drives up and more of his men come out. "Carefully load the girl up, we'll take her back to the estate. Fire up the vehicles, let the police deal with the mystery man." Dave is more interested in the mystery girl. Just why was such a young girl taken prisoner and harmed like she was? It doesn't make much sense. He doesn't allow flesh trafficking in his territory so she shouldn't be part of that. There are far safer routes than his.

Now he has two headaches, the bastard that got away from him and the mystery girl.

He smiles and his men start crossing themselves. He has an idea that will take care of that bastard. He hadn't wanted to involve the man's family, but due to his cowardice he'll have no choice.

"Bring me Hasting's family," Dave orders.

"Yes, boss. What do you want done with this girl?" Zander asks pointing to their unexpected guest in the back.

"We'll give her the care she needs until we find out who the hell she is and why she was tied up and beaten like she was." Dave tells the men coldly, "She'll be hands off."

"Yes, sir," all the men in the vehicle respond to him. No one crosses him and lives to tell of it. Hasting may have gotten away, but he left his family behind. Now they will be paying the price, unless he stops being a coward and shows himself.

Dave groans as his body lets him feel just how abused it was in that little accident. 

"I think the doctor better look at you as well as our young guest." Zander is the only one that dares talk to Dave in that way. If they weren't such good friends then Dave wouldn't allow Zander even that.

"There is a definite use for those damn seat belts." Dave manages to say. If it hadn't been for the seat belt then he'd have gone through the windshield and possibly died like the other driver. Too bad he'd had the passenger air bag disabled. If he hadn't maybe then he'd not be in so much pain now. But then again perhaps he would have been. There's no knowing now.

As the adrenaline wears off the pain increases to the point that Dave is no longer able to withstand it. Only as he goes under does he realize that he was hurt far worse than he'd originally thought in that accident.

His last thoughts are for the injured girl, he hopes that the accident hadn't made things worse for her. It looks like she'd been hurt more than enough. He hopes that they will be able to reunite her with her family shortly.

He isn't known for his philanthropic nature, but there's no reason for him to keep the girl either. The only person he has a beef with is that bastard that got away from him.

Then he's pulled into the black of oblivion.

The men are careful as they unload the girl but even more so as they unload Dave. The last thing they want is for him to awaken due to even more pain. He's been known to kill those that give him pain before he's even aware that it's so he will be helped.

They've had a hard time keeping doctors for that reason. They do their best on taking his weapons away and giving him drugs first, but it isn't always enough.

Both are taken to the infirmary there at the estate. The doctor injects a drug into his boss, he learned the first time and has no desire to have another broken arm. His lesson had been harsh, but he learned it well. Always make sure the boss is out before working on him, no matter what, unless he's fully conscious and able to control himself.

While the drug takes affect the doctor looks at the girl. He doesn't like the looks of some of those bruises. He decides that she needs to go to the clinic that they run and makes arrangements for her. 

"Well, boss, I don't know what the hell you've gotten yourself into this time, but you're going to be on bed rest for at least twenty-four hours." The doctor smirks, Dave despises bed rest and when he wakes up he'll be fighting the doctor about it.