18

"Figures," Zander says putting his rifle up. "Anyone we need to worry about back there?"

"No, Eve took care of it when she got me out of my cell," Dave manages to say as they painfully haul him to his feet.

"Eve, did?"

"Zachary helped me." Eve is quick to say, before anyone could say anything against the one that gave his life to protect the one he betrayed.

"Where is that fucker?" Zander demands angrily.

"He's dead. He saved my life when a grenade was thrown too close to us. He will be given honor." Zander and the others with them look at their boss chagrined at his words.

"Zachary didn't have to do what he did. He was willing to help me escape, putting his life ahead of mine, but helped me save Dave's life. He wasn't forced to help, nor did anyone tell him to cover Dave. He did that all on his own." The men look away from Eve and look at the mangled body of their former compatriot.

"He died in honor," Zander finally says and the men help to pick up his body. Not many others lost their lives in the attack.

"What about that bastard?" Zander gestures to the man Leo is keeping pressure on.

"My gift to Dave." Eve says coldly. She wants to do the hurting but she wouldn't be able to place her hits precisely enough.

"You will be allowed to watch, if that is what you would like," Dave is quick to say.

"Thank you," Eve tells him and turns away from them all. "Now, how the hell do we get out of here?"

"You mean you don't know?" Leo smirks at her.

"I was unconscious when they brought me in," that wipes the smirk right off his and all the others faces.

"Sorry, forgot, Eve. I'll guide you myself, if you would allow me to?" Leo goes over to her and offers her his arm. Eve places her hand on his arm and Leo carefully guides her around the obstacles in the warehouse. Such obstacles as dead bodies and body parts and blood pools.

Eve ignores the smell and holds back the urge to gag. "I really need to get out of here, the smell is a making me sick."

Leo hastens his footsteps and gets her out of the warehouse quickly, "Thank you, Leo."

"Eve, what happened to the boss?"

"Zachary talked him into giving me to him. Dave helped the boss agree by becoming enraged at the idea. The ass hat ordered Zachary to make me scream. I screamed alright." Eve is furious but now that she is safe the adrenaline is leaving and she's feeling the headache and also a pain where Zachary hit her.

"How did you get this bruise?" Leo gently traces the bruise Zachary gave her.

"Part of our little charade, Zachary had to hit me. It's alright, I was willing to receive it."

Leo is furious, "It's just a good thing he's dead. If the boss could see it, I'm not sure that he'd give honor to that bastard"

"You will not tell him, Leo," Eve tells him in a warning tone of voice.

"I won't, but I won't guarantee that others won't."

"Anyway, Zachary got me out of my cell and opened Dave's cell. The ass hat didn't see me as a threat until I shot his arm when he didn't follow my orders."

Leo is confused, "Why'd you shoot his arm?"

"I was aiming for his chest but he must have moved his arm back just as the bullet hit."

"Lucky bastard," Leo mutters.

"Not really. After he released Dave I shot him. Only this time it was a kill shot."

Leo stops her, turns her to face him, "Where?"

"Just behind his ear. Zachary says he looked rather surprised as he fell down. Dave gave a few exclamations as well. There was however a great deal of satisfaction in Zachary's voice. I know you and the others despise Zachary, but truly without him things would have turned out far different for us all."

"Yeah, you never would have-"

"Stop, Leo. Dave knew about Zachary some time ago and still planned that raid with Zachary knowing. This whole fucking thing was nothing more than a trap for the fucking Italians."

Leo's face turns white at her words. "That couldn't be, Eve. Dave would never use you for bait like that."

Eve sniffs, "Oh, he wouldn't would he? Ask him. He knew about Zachary, he just didn't know if there were others as well."

"Is that why you acted like you did?"

"Hell no, I was pissed. I didn't want him to leave. It wasn't necessary for you all to leave. Just put a jammer on and the Italians would come to us and we'd have home court advantage as they say. But no, he had to try to take them down at their place. Stupid ass doesn't listen and people paid the price with their lives because of it.

"But at least that asshole that's been plaguing my dreams is dead." There is definite satisfaction in her voice and he can see it on her face.

"But what about Peter and the others?" Eve demands information in turn.

"Peter was injured but still alive when we left. We lost some men, but not nearly as many as we would if you hadn't taken over the control room."

"Dave really needs to put stronger security on that room. It's been infiltrated far too easily in the last few weeks."

"That's an excellent idea, why don't you tell him that?"

"Because right now, I'm not really talking to him. How did you find me so quickly? I know for a fact that Zachary didn't tell you how to get here."

Leo now feels like he's standing in quicksand that's rigged to blow at the slightest movement.

"Dave had trackers injected into you and him after the first failed attempt of the Italians." Zander says saving Leo from answering the furious female before him.

Eve doesn't say anything, just thins her lips down in anger. Just more things that she needs to talk to him about. Perhaps doing whatever is necessary to break that damn contract should be done after all.

"Eve?" Leo asks more than a little nervous at the now angry female at his side.

"Take me to the cars and make sure that I'm not in the same one as Dave. If he is, there is likely to be a death, his."

"Very well. He wants you home as soon as possible anyway. As soon as the car can be filled we'll leave."

"Good," Eve says shortly and has Leo start up once more.

Leo thinks that this is going to be a very long night.