4

Dave goes out to the waiting room. He's seething with anger and has nowhere to send it. He wishes he was in his gym so he could punch the bag. Maybe he'll go after some of those that owe him money and are late. Breaking a few bones might make him feel better.

"Boss?" Zander asks coming out of the girl's room. "She doesn't know you and only has a few broken memories to go off of. Those that had her would have done that. You know that's how the Italians are. That's what she knows, so that's why she thought the same of you, after all you did say you are like them."

Dave doesn't like the fact that Zander has a point. A very valid one at that. He sighs and runs his hands through his hair. "The girl?" They needed to find a name for her, they can't keep calling her girl.

"She's terrified that you're going to hurt her. She didn't mean to anger you."

"Shit," now all the anger has left Dave. It's his fault the girl is so scared. It can't help that she is blind either.

Now that his anger is gone he takes a deep breath and goes back in. He walks silently into the room, at least he thought so but immediately the girl faces him and he can see her fear. "My apologies miss. I can assure you that I'm not like the Italians. I don't kill without reason. I also don't deal in the flesh trade and any members of the sex trade are there by choice."

The girl didn't take her frightened look away and just adjusted where she looked as he comes closer to her bed. "You don't sell people or force them to have sex?" There is more than a little note of disbelief in her voice.

"I haven't had to force a female since I took over from my father. He on the other hand didn't mind dealing in those things. I find it's much more pleasurable when the female wants to be with you. I don't need to force them to my will." Dave doesn't mean to but there is a note of smugness in his voice that the girl picks up on immediately. She decides to keep it to herself though, she already ticked him off more than she dares to. Maybe next time he won't leave.

Dave frowns, the fear hasn't left the girl's face and he doesn't want her afraid of him. "Do you know why the Italians had you or where they were taking you to?" He does his best to keep his voice soft and not angry.

The evidence of tears is still there on her face. 

The girl looks at him and shakes her head, "I don't know. They don't tell me anything. I don't even know why I..." she starts crying again.

"Everyone out." Dave says, he doesn't know why but he wants to give this girl some privacy. He goes to her and picks her up, being very careful of her ribs. "If you want me out I'll leave too." Dave tells her as he holds her in his lap.

At first the girl is stiff as a board and does her best to not get the tears on him. "It's okay, I have really strong shoulders and can handle you crying on me. That's if you want?"

Although she doesn't know him, she's just had too much. The sobs come out hard and fast. Dave holds her gently, like she's fragile and just lets her cry. He finds a tissue and helps her clean up her face every so often, but other than that he does nothing but hold her.

Some time later the girl sleepily pulls away from Dave, "I'm sorry." She looks at where she imagines the floor to be.

"Every person has a breaking point. You've been through hell and don't even know why. That would be bad enough, but not being able to see would make things even worse." Dave does his best to reassure the girl. He's never been very good with that. He's excellent at giving orders, but not so good at sitting back and helping those in need. Especially those in emotional need. He's never really received that kind of help either.

"Thank you, Mr.?" The girl stops realizing that she doesn't know his name.

"Dave, Dave Tuelleries." Dave smiles sardonically it's unusual for him to have to tell people his name. He's used to people already knowing who he is and either fearing him or wanting him. The girl had gotten that much right about him.

"Thank you Mr. Tuelleries, I didn't mean to get your suit all wet with my tears." The girl can feel him shrug off her words.

"It'll clean up just fine, no worries about that. I am sorry that I frightened you earlier. I am mafia, but not all mafia's are the same. I DON'T traffic in people. The other mafia's know this and know that I don't allow them to transport people through my area. That's why it shocked me to find a female prisoner being transported by a mafia. I was hoping you could tell me something. Even if it's only a passing comment, it might help me understand why they would risk taking you through my territory." Dave doesn't do well with explanations and hopes that he has helped ease the girl a bit.

The girl by now is tired and fully at ease in his arms and on his lap and snuggles into him. "All I heard was that the person they were taking me too would finish me off. I don't know how or why."

"We need a name for you, I can't keep calling you girl. We could call you Jane if you want?" Dave teases her.

"No, I don't like that name." She says sleepily.

"Well how about, Lydia?" Dave asks softly.

"Lydia?" The girl smiles into Dave's chest, "I like that name. A bit old fashioned, but hell it was the name of a country in ancient times."

Dave hadn't even known that. He looks down at the girl curiously, how had she known that? "Then that's what we'll call you for now. Any preference for a last name?"

"No, you choose something." Lydia murmurs even as she loses the fight to stay awake.

Dave chuckles and sets Lydia back into her bed. He hadn't noticed how late it had gotten. He straightens the sheet and blanket around her. "Sleep well, Lydia. We'll talk some more tomorrow." Then he kisses her forehead and leaves the room.

That's the first time he's ever just kissed a females forehead and left her in bed. He chuckles to himself, Lydia is indeed an intriguing female. He is determined to figure out her parents and past, to find out why she is wanted dead.