28

There is a knock at the door and Zander excuses himself to answer it and is chagrined to find not their dinner but a florist delivery. "Thank you," Zander says and gives the delivery person the tip he had ready for the food delivery.

He doesn't even have to look at the card to know who it's from. He's smirking when he goes back into the sitting area. "For you, Eve."

Zander carefully hands her the flowers that are already in a vase. Eve inhales the smell and although she knows who they are from she allows the fragrance to deflect her anger. "Read me the card?"

Zander takes the card from the bouquet,  and starts laughing before he could get the first word out. Once he calmed down he has the definite attention of both of the other occupants in the room. "As you guessed they're from the boss.

"If you got this far, thank you. Even if you can't forgive me, please enjoy the flowers. I will be in Seattle later today to deal with the mess you allowed me to handle for you." This causes them both to snigger a bit. 

"I would be honored if you would allow me to talk to you before I leave again. Please." Zander reads, "and then it's signed Dave."

Eve has tears in her eyes. Seeing this Peter takes the flowers from her and places them on the coffee table in front of them. "You don't have to talk to him if you don't want to, Eve. What he did doesn't deserve forgiving. He broke his promise to you and you deserve someone that sees you as the most important person in their life."

"That's how I felt until he broke that promise. Was it stupid of me to actually believe that he loved me?" Eve asks them both before breaking out in sobs.

This time it's Peter that goes to answer the door and bring in their dinner. While Peter is busy doing that Zander is doing his best to comfort Eve. "I thought he loved you too, Eve. We all thought so. There was a way he looked at you even when he thought no one was watching that spoke clearly of his love. 

"I was almost as shocked to find another woman in the room as you were. I never thought he'd do that to you, Eve, honestly. He about worshiped the ground you walked on."

"Perhaps, but I think in order for him to be faithful to me he would have had to worship not just about worshiped the ground I walked on.

"I hate how this makes me feel, not just the tears, but the ugliness inside. It's changing me and I don't like how it's changing me."

"I know that Peter says he doesn't deserve forgiveness for this, but you deserve to forgive him so it doesn't destroy you. That doesn't mean you take him back, hell no, you do deserve better than that. But forgive him so you don't lose you.

"We all love you, Eve. We understand why you left and we are less than pleased. I know it doesn't mean you'll come home, but know that we do love you." Zander tells her and lets her cry for a bit before setting her back.

He hands her a tissue and makes sure that she's okay before saying, "Now that that has been dealt with let's eat." Eve chuckles which is what he'd been going for and nods her assent.

Long used to her needs and abilities Zander helps her slather her baked potato in sour cream, like how she likes it, and tells her where to find everything.

After that the three relax and joke as they eat. All in all it is a very relaxed and nice meal. The best she's had in a long time. She's been feeling very alone since she left the estate. Having Zander and Peter here helps her feel not so lost and alone. But there is still that hole in her chest that her heart used to occupy.

"Eve, what did you do to the companies that insulted your abilities?" Zander asks curiously as they were done eating and now just chatting companionably.