6

True to his word Dave got her not just the cane but a wide selection of audio books and even those written in braille. It has been some time since she had a chance to use her braille but she quickly picked it up once more.

She spent long quiet days in her room and only slowly spent time going about the estate. She didn't like being a nuisance and was sure she was for the guard. After a while she didn't need his help as much.

She was absolutely thrilled when Dave presented her with a special laptop for the blind. He even set it up so that she was able to get the education she was denied while a prisoner.

For his part Dave was impressed at how quickly Lydia not only adapted but thrived. She is rapidly catching up to where she should be education wise and he's debating about signing her on to online college courses. He's curious just how far his little guest could go if given the chance.

"Lydia?" Dave says having come up behind her. Normally he can't do so silently and she always knows when he or anyone else comes into the room, but this time she jumps. When she turns to face him he sees something he hasn't for months since she's come here, fear.

"Shh, it's okay, Lydia." Dave says trying to calm her. She's been here for months, almost a year actually and he doesn't like seeing the fear back.

With tears in her eyes Lydia tries to reassure him, "It's alright. I'm just not expecting you or anyone really. Usually you all are busy with work at this time." She's not stupid she knows what kind of work Dave does, but she does her best to stay strictly out of it. She figures that if she does then her chances of living increase. She's still not sure what Dave is going to be doing with her in the future.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you, since you don't remember your birthday I thought we could celebrate the day you joined my household. That day is fast approaching, what would you like to do to celebrate it?" Dave asks gently.

Lydia looks at him strangely. She doesn't remember if she ever celebrated her birthday. She doesn't think that they should celebrate anything that has to do with her. "Dave, being here is enough. Knowing that I live each day without pain, without fear, that is celebration enough for me."

Dave smiles gently at the beautiful young woman before him. "That is all true I suppose, but I and my men would like to do something special for you."

Now Lydia is shocked. "Your men, Dave? You're kidding right? I'm sure that me being here is something they hate. I'm a-"

"Don't say it, Lydia," Dave warns her softly, but a shiver of fear runs up her spine. Dave is careful to never make her afraid. He once told her that she's suffered enough and doesn't ever want to add to it. "My men don't consider you a problem, indeed they love you more than a little. I think they'd save your life over mine, you've won their loyalty that much."

Lydia looks at Dave, or where she thinks he is by his voice, incredulous at his words. He continues impatiently, "They have given their loyalty to you." Now his voice turns amused and Lydia relaxes a bit. "I think if I ordered them to do anything but guard you they would turn on me. You've stolen them right out from under me."

Lydia doesn't believe a word of what he's saying. She's sure that she's a burden to Dave and his men. Dave is watching her and knows when she's going to contradict him.

"I don't lie, Lydia. My men follow me implicitly, until it comes to you. They will protect you even against me. I think they all see you as their own little sister or daughter and don't want anything to happen to you." 

Lydia is now embarrassed, she hasn't been so embarrassed since she accidentally interrupted him with one of his women. They had been making a lot of noise out in the hall and it scared her. She had gone out to see what the noise was and found Dave being rather excited with his latest woman on the way to his room.