35

This time when Eve walked into the hotel everything was different. They know her now and know that she's their boss's girlfriend. They are quick to get her registered and off to the penthouse.

She walks into the penthouse and calls for Maria.

"What is it, love?" Maria worries over her as if she was her daughter. "You've been crying." Maria hisses. "Does your man know?"

Eve nods as Maria escorts her to the bedroom. "Rest. I'll bring a cool cloth for your eyes. Is he coming?" Maria still hasn't made up her mind about Dave. He'd hurt Eve so badly before, but she's seen how hard he's worked to fix his mistake. But like Eve, she can't be sure that he's trustworthy once more.

"Is he on his way?" Maria demands coming back into the room and placing the cloth on Eve's eyes.

Eve shies at the first touch of the cold damp cloth but soon relaxes. "Yes, he said that he would be here as soon as he can. But I know he has some important meetings, it could be several days before he makes it here."

"If he loves you, Eve, he'll be on his way already. Now, unless you want to tell me what has you so upset, you need to rest." Maria desperately wants to know, but she's not going to press things. That's not what Eve needs.

"Thank you, Maria. Will you stay by my side until he comes?" Eve asks in the most childlike voice Maria had ever heard Eve use before. It makes her heart break. Something has this girl running scared. Eve is perhaps the strongest woman Maria has ever met and she doesn't like seeing her so vulnerable and scared. If  Dave did this to her she's going to kill him, even if it means her death.

Several hours later Maria is brought out of her doze next to Eve, by noise in the sitting area. She carefully gets up to not wake the sleeping girl.

"Good, you're here. She was worried you wouldn't be here for several days." Maria says when she sees Dave taking off his jacket.

"Where is she?" Dave ignores her words. He knows Maria cares for Eve as if she were her own.

"She's sleeping. She's scared and been crying." Maria tells him crossing her arms across her chest. "This isn't your doing is it?" Maria demands.

"I haven't done anything but try my hardest to gain her forgiveness and regain her trust. I have no idea what has her running so scared. George told me she was fine this morning but then she started crying and became scared. That's all he knows." Dave says bewildered. He runs his hands through his hair frustrated that he can't help her by killing someone or terrifying the person that scared her.

"Go to her, she needs you. It will be best if you are there when she wakes. I'll order dinner for you both." Maria shoos him into the bedroom. By now she knows what they both will like and not like.

Dave doesn't hesitate. He goes into the bedroom and kicks off his shoes and climbs into the bed with her. He pulls her to him and just holds her.

As she feels his arms around her she relaxes like not even sleep had been able to do for her. "Dave?" Eve murmurs.

"Shh, yes I'm here. But sleep if you need it." Dave says softly.

"You're here already? What time is it?" Eve says and just lets Dave hold her. She loves how safe he makes her feel.

"My plane landed five your time. I'm not sure what time it is now. Maria is ordering dinner. Do you feel up to getting up now? If not you can go back to sleep." Dave says happy to see that she's not scared now.

He's less happy that she wants out of his arms and sits up. "Before anything else, I need to talk to you."

"It's okay, Eve." Dave tries to reassure her.