25

Eve is no longer optimistic about finding a job. Not even a fast food or waitressing job because of her damn blindness. She'd been hit so many damn times that you'd think her sight would have returned, but no not for her.

If she isn't able to find a job, she won't have a choice, she'll have to return to Dave. That is if he will still want her, which she doubts.

Needing to calm down she decides to walk and explore her new home, no matter how temporary it might be.

She hears the sound of televisions and several electronics and thinks that she found a place where she can replace her laptop. If she could have been sure it couldn't be traced she'd have brought it with her. She really misses the freedom it brings her.

But the chances of them having one for the blind is slim. Eve shrugs, she'll just have to order it then.

She finds the door and pushes it open. She smiles as the slightly stale air washes over her. The low buzzing of active electronics fills the air and competes with the televisions that are all set to the same program.

"How might I help you?" A man comes up to her. Eve thinks that he's an older man due to his voice and smiles reassuringly at him.

"Do you by any chance have a laptop for the blind? If not I'll need to order one from Dell." Eve says trying not to trip as the gentleman guides her further into the shop.

"Actually, I do.  A young married couple had ordered it for their child, but before it came in their apartment building caught on fire. They were casualties I'm afraid."

Eve frowns at that. "That's so sad." Then she perks up slightly, "Can you tell me about the computer?"

The man then goes into his store room and brings it out. Then tells her what the box says. Eve is more than satisfied with this computer. "Perfect, if you wouldn't mind, I'll take it."

Eve decides that since Dave already knows where she is, she'll save her cash for when she needs it. She takes her card out and pays for the computer. Before the man can give her the computer two loud mouths come in.

The man stiffens and warns, "They have guns miss. Please do whatever they say so you don't get hurt."

Eve is furious. This gentleman has done nothing but be kind to her and now he's being robbed. No, she won't allow it.

"What do we have here?" One of the younger men says coming back to where Eve and the shop owner are.

"Just tell me what you want and don't harm either of us, please. She can't even see you." The store owner is terrified at the look the man is giving Eve.

Eve hears his panic on her behalf and it infuriates her even further.

When she feels the man touching her she goes beyond furious. "That will depend on her and how well she satisfies me and my friend here." Eve can here the smug sound and knows what he expects from her. But she's long over being a victim.

She knees the man in the groin then shoves her fist into his throat.

He loses his grip on the gun when she knees him but can't even breath after she punches him in the throat.

His friend comes to the back to find out why it's taking him so long and is furious at the state he is in. "What the fuck?"

He aims his gun at the owner but by then Eve had picked up the thief's gun and shoots him. "Call the cops. They'll want to deal with this." Eve orders the shop owner.

"No, don't." A voice says and Eve starts cursing.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Then she remembers the nightmare and the voice. It was his. "I should have known. Why the hell shouldn't he call the cops? It was self defense."

"Eve, there is no way in hell the cops will believe that you killed that man and no make that killed both men."

"I have cameras that recorded the whole thing." The shop owner speaks up after he comes out of his shock.

He looks at the new comer that told him to not call the cops and he immediately understands. "You're mafia, no wonder you don't want the cops."

"Eve, you can't have the cops looking into your history."

"Why not? I'm not a criminal," She says smirking.

"You are presumed dead. How would that look? All of your father's enemies would be out looking for you then."

"Then what should we do, Zander? Huh? I don't have a mafia to back me up now."

"Leave it to me." Zander says and makes a phone call.

"This could mean a lot of trouble for you miss. Those two belonged to a local gang. They won't like that you killed two of their own."

"Don't worry about them." Zander says coming up to them. "The local mafia will be here to clean up. You'll need to close shop for the day." Zander gives the man some money. "For your trouble and your silence. The mafia will talk to the gang and let them know to back off both you and Eve. If you have any trouble just call this number and tell them Zander told you to call."

Zander looks at Eve, "Have you had any luck in finding a job?"

"No, I'm either unqualified or too young or too fucking blind." Eve says bitterly.

Zander shakes his head, "They're fools for not even looking at you. I don't think there isn't anything you can't hack. I'm sure that you would be able to stop hackers just as easily.

Eve smirks, "Of course."

Zander looks at her and sighs, "Eve, what did you do?"

"I gave them a taste of my work is all. They all want someone more qualified they better find them quick or there won't be anything left to salvage."

The shop owner lets out a guffaw. He likes this sassy young woman that doesn't let even her blindness slow her down.

"Well, miss, I can't help with the job, I barely make ends meet, but I do have an empty apartment above the store you can have with my thanks."

Eve looks at him in shock, "Even after everything you've seen me do and heard about me you still are willing to rent me the apartment?"

The man shakes his head, "Not rent, you'll live there rent free until you find a job. You will have to pay for utilities though and you'll have to furnish it. If you want it it's yours."

The man is ignoring Zander's venomous glare. "Could you show it to me now?" Eve asks eagerly.

The man hesitates, Zander tells him, "Go ahead, I'll wait for my contacts to come."

Eve turns and gives him a smirk. She knows that he doesn't want her to find a place to live away from the hotel.