Chapter 6

Carlo's House.

"I know people." Was Arnold's respond to my question, and he shoots a brief glance to Carlo who is giving him a death stare. "But I can't help right now." He averts his gaze awkwardly from me. "Well, why not?" I ask, raising my shoulders. "My father died two days ago. The case isn't cold yet," I raise my hands and shake my head. "I need to know who did it!" I beg and Carlo steps forward.

"Enough." He glares at Arnold, who swallows. "We can't do anything about your father's death. Not until Sam has let us know what is going on." I stare at him. "So, I have to sit back and wait while my life is in danger?" I ask lowly, staring him right in the eye. "Something like that, yeah." He doesn't break eye contact as he shrugs. 

"I can't believe it." I voice in utter disbelieve. "My father is killed by fuck knows who and I have to sit back while the FBI and my father's "gang"," I put in quotations, "Does a search party?" I glare at him and he lowers his head before shaking it. "Karla, this is out of our control-" I stand up, cutting him off. "I am not sitting back and allowing this to happen." I say slowly and walk back to my room. 

_______________________________________________________________________________

It has been hours since the argument and I am bored in this house. I need to get an excuse to get out of here, even if it is to do shopping. I stand up from the bed and head out the door. Carlo isn't in the kitchen and Arnold has probably left by now. I head back to his room and knock on his door.

It opens barely a second after I have knocked. "Can we go out?" I ask and he blinks his eyes. "I need to get enough clothes if I want to stay in hiding for forever."

"No." He leans against the door frame and I frown. No? Didn't uncle Sam give me permission to go shopping at least?  "Why not?" I cross my arms beneath my breasts and he looks down at the low neckline of my black T-shirt, but quickly averts his gaze back to my face.

"Because I said so." He shrugs. I stare at him for a second. "You can't keep a girl from shop-"

"You are not a normal girl, Karla." He interrupts me, rude much.  "Your life is at state and you are being hunted down." He murmurs lowly and I huff. "Is that going to stop me from having a normal life? From having fun?" I ask and he looks away from me. I know I am irritating him.

"Yes, yes it is." He answers carelessly and I glare at him. He looks at me and sighs, "Look, I'll go buy you some clothes." He wipes his hand tiredly over his face. "No, you're not. You don't even know what I want!" I exaggerated. I sound like Beth and I am disgusted with myself. 

"Make a list." He pushes past me and goes to the kitchen. Me, being the girl my daddy raised, follows after him and keeps on nagging. Beth style. Am I really this desperate? Yes, yes I am. "There is more specific things I want. A list won't help!" I watch him as he grabs a shirt from one of the bar stools and pulls it on. 

Finally. Maybe now I can concentrate.

"Listen, Karla, I have better things to worry about than a girl's shopping trip." He goes pass me again and towards the front door. Where is he going? "Like what?" He lets out a frustrated sigh and turns to face me. "There is food in the fridge, I'll be back by 7." I frown at his words and open my mouth to speak, but he is already out the door.

Great! Just fucking great.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am currently seated on the sofa, watching Friends and eating away at a tube of ice cream I found in the freezer. I don't care if he claimed it or whatever, he refused to take me shopping. I am sulking. I hate it, but it past is seven in the afternoon and I haven't had fresh air since yesterday. All of this that has been going on is making matters worse for me and I need a way to escape. Even if it was to go shopping.

I hear the door open, but I don't even bother to look who it is. I just carry on eating and ignore the footsteps heading my way. If it is someone who is trying to kill me for the money, well, then I am doomed. I would say fine go for it, but I have worked hard to get where I am now in life and I don't want to die right now.

"You know I could have been a serial killer." Carlo speaks and I feel irritated again by him. He left me alone in this house all day, how can he be worried about it being serial killer?  "Yeah, and I could have been dead by the time you came home, so this serial killer won't have much to do." I reply sarcastically. "Are you still mad?" He asks before sitting down next to me. I don't answer him. "I am sorry. You are right. That was careless of me." I try not to smile in victory. Silence falls upon us and we carry on watching episode 11 of season 4. This show would have been funny if I was in a mood to laugh.

"Where were you?" I finally ask, out of curiosity of course. "Don't worry about it." He answers and I frown, but doesn't press the matter. If he doesn't want to talk about it then he doesn't have to. I am not forcing anyone here.

"When will my uncle be visiting again?" I ask, placing the now empty tube on the coffee table in front of us. "When he decides to." I feel the anger rising again. He has been a total asshole ever since I arrived. He is hot and cold. The one moment he is nice, offering me comfortable clothes and coffee and the next moment he leaves me alone in a strange house.

"Can you stop being a rude bastard for once?" I snap and stand up. "You have no idea how hard this is for me!" I yell, "I have seen my father's dead body on the ground of his office, a murderer is after me, I have drove half a mile just to sleep in a stranger's house who doesn't even have the littlest sympathy for me!" I can feel the tears threatening to spill. "I deserve to at least know when my uncle will be here." I sob and walk off to my room, leaving a quiet stranger behind. 

He's so fucking annoying! I have no one left of my father's family except uncle Sam, and that's the way he will react? The bastard is heartless! I crash down on my bed. I just want closure, some advice how to handle this crappy feeling. I want love and care. I want my father. 

I looked down at my hands and the tears drops down on it. I am not usually a girl that cries, because my father taught me to be brave. I have no one to be brave for now, so I just want to cry. Cry everything out and cry until my throats hurts. I hate this. I didn't even plan this to happen in my future. I dreamed of marrying a journalist and having children, my father being the best grandfather like he was a father. A sob escapes my throat.

I hear a knock on my door and look up at Carlo who is standing with his hands in his pockets. I wipe at my tears and look away. "Go away." I mutter and instead of obeying me, he comes in. He is so stubborn. I don't dare to look up at him and just stare at my hands again. What would your father say about you now?

"No, I want to apologize. That was uncalled for. I should respect you and what you're going through." He explains. I let out a breath and the tears threaten to fall again. I feel so weak and vulnerable, like a princess. I always thought of myself as a warrior. 

"I just miss him so much." I whisper, but loud enough for him to hear. He sits down next to me and pulls me closer to him. He smells like men cologne and after shave. I sniff. For the first time in three days I got a hug. A soothing hug that proves everything will be okay. It will just take time. Even though the hug is from a complete stranger. 

I hugged him back.

(Edited.)