Chapter 20

The Cottage.

"Carlo?" I push open the door and step inside our room. It wasn't much of a big room. It only contained one dresser, two single beds and an end table in between the beds. He is laying on the bed and the room is dark. 

"Are you awake?" I lean against the door frame and feel stupid for asking a question in the dark with no response for an entire five seconds. "Maybe." I frown at his tone of his voice. I know that he was mad, but irritated? I sigh and switch on the light. "Listen."

The little folded paper is between my fingers, "I found this paper in my bedroom back at your house." I feel bad for giving it to him now, "It contains an address and I thought it would be important to you." I reach it out towards him and he gets up into a sitting position.

He opens it and in my mind I see the address, 14 Charles Street.

I can see the change in his facial expression and my heart turns soft. His eyes seems to light up and a small gentle smile makes its way to his lips. I wonder what that address has to do with his happiness. "Thank you for finding it." He looks at me and I smile. I reach for his hand that was rested next to him and take hold of it.

"I thought that it was important." I look down, "If I may know, who lives there?" I look back up at him and he is staring at me. He pulls me on top of the bed, next to him. I hesitate about what to do now and just sit up straight. Very stiff.

"My mother and my..." I tilt my head, "Your?" I urge him to talk more, my shoulders relaxing now that I know he is more uncomfortable talking to me. 

"My daughter." He whispers. My heart skips a beat. Daughter? Does it mean? I feel embarrassed that I have kissed another woman's man and mad at him for allowing it. How could he cheat on her like it was nothing? My thoughts comes to a halt when he speaks again. 

"She is turning 5 this weekend, and I thought I lost their new address for good." He grins happily and I smile, although it was tight, I am still happy for him. He can see his daughter for her birthday. 

Then a thought dawns to me.

"Wait...why does she live with your mother? Where's her mother?" I frown and he looks sad for a moment. He looks away from me and stare at the wall. I feel bad now. Did they split? "She.." He takes a breath and lets it out shakily, "She is dead." I feel my heart ache and feel like kicking myself. 

"I feel bad now." I lean my head in to my hands and let out a frustrated breath. I don't want to ask more about her. In a way I feel relief, because our kiss is innocent and harmless. "No, don't. You didn't know." He leans against my shoulder and takes my hands into his. I can feel his breath in my neck.

"Exactly!" I exclaim gently. "I know how it feels when someone asks about a person who you loved dearly and lost." He kisses my shoulder, "I know how you can make up for it then." I feel my heart tug. "How?" I feel slightly curious. I just hope he doesn't kiss me again and then ignore me for an entire day. I might lose it then.

"Come meet her." He grins and I feel butterflies in my stomach. His daughter? What if she doesn't like me? What if his mother doesn't like me? There are so many doubts I am not even sure if I want to. 

"I don't know..." I fiddle with my fingers and he kisses me again on my shoulder. I relax a little. "Please, Karla? It will do us both good." He is pleading me with his eyes. Those gorgeous eyes. "Us?" I raise my brow.

"Yes, us." He sounds so serious again. "She has a way of lighting up your world with just one smile." I smile at the way he talks about her, "Just like you do." My heart feels like it could burst. He is actually really sweet. What happened to mean Carlo? Well, I like both of them to be honest. I prefer this one.

"Why do you do this to me, Carlo?" I whisper and he leans in. "Do what?" I need a distraction. Quick! "When are we going to see her?" I ask, leaning slightly back and he seems to snap back to reality. Good. I can't lose myself again. Not until I am sure.

"This weekend. Her birthday is Saturday." I nod and another question pops up. "Where is Charles Street exactly?" His face falls and I dread the answer.

"Ah...you see...it is back in...New York." 

(Edited.)