Chapter 15

Greenport.

We finally came to a stop in front of a small house. Smaller then the previous one. I take my bags from the trunk and start towards the house. Ricardo is unlocking the door and I stop next to him. He smiles at me before pushing the door open.

We stand there for a few seconds, "Do you think the house is haunted?" I ask and he laughs. "Trust me, love. Nothing can be more scary than what we are experiencing right now." Tell me about it. "Ghosts can't kill you." I look him dead in the eye, "People do." 

I step in the house and start looking around, putting my bags down near the front door. Unlike the previous one, this one only has two rooms. No study. Just a kitchen, a living room and the two rooms. I hauled my bag deeper inside the house and I am completely shock...what happened here? The outside looks...homey? But the inside! It looks...worn out. Cupboards wood seems to crack and the floor was dusty, and the sofa is completely ruined!

"We're gonna share rooms." I hear Carlo whisper behind me, and much to my dismay a shiver runs through my body. Why is he like this? Why does he have an effect on me? I don't even want to like the guy, but it is like I am his puppet and he controls me. Well, my emotions.

Wait...share rooms? Why can't he and Ricardo share one? Why must I share one with him? Where is uncle Sam?
All these questions and no answers...

I scrunch up my nose when I feel a sneeze. The dust isn't going to work for me. I might consider it being haunted. 

Home sweet home.
Again.
______________________________________

It was well past 6 when we finally slouched down on the worn out sofa. I take a look around the room for the millionth time, still unsure on how this house is so worn out next to Carlo's small modern home.

"So...ready to tell me what's going on? And why we are in a shack now?" I ask, fixing my gaze on Carlo's stubborn face. It is the third time, maybe, that I've asked this question and still no answer. By now his jaw is set and his perfectly full lips is in a tight line.

"No."

"Come on! I have the right to know. After all, it is me they are after." I growl out and he stares at me. As in I-am-ready-to-kill-you stare. I know I shouldn't mess with him. He killed more people than I can count on my fingers, yet I am so curious. This is my family we are talking about too...

"Exactly. The less you know, the safer you will be." He answers and stands up. Ricardo did as well, and follows him to the study. Well, the small room that could be a closet actually. And why is Ricardo following him around like a lost pup all of a sudden? Did I miss something here?

After the door had shut I tiptoed to it. I know, eavesdrop, really Karla? Yes, really.
I press my ear to the door and can slightly make out the muttering.

"Have you spoken to your dad?"
That could only be Carlo's handsome voice. Did I just think handsome? I meant fugly.
"He's your dad too, asswipe."
Ah, Ricardo. Sweet, yet mischievous.
"Have you, or not?" Carlo snaps. I feel suspicious. What does their father has to do with my problems?
"I have. He said he will see to it to find Sam. He had already sent men on the lookout."

My heart sinks...uncle Sam is...kidnapped?

(Edited.)