Chapter 14

On the road.

The car is driving smoothly and my dreams are left in a blur when I blink my eyes open. We are still driving. I look at the car's clock that was at the front between the passenger and driver's seat.

10:45 pm.
We have probably been driving about 7 hours. Where are we heading? I look out of the window at the passing headlights and sigh. The silence is eating me. "Where are we headed?" I finally ask and Carlo remains quiet. A few seconds passes and just when I was about to give up hope he answers.

"Far away from New York as possible." His answer didn't quite make sense, but I refuse to question his response, even though it left me more confuse then ever. Weren't we already far away from New York? I am sure that we were safe. Uncle Sam comes back to mind and I suck in a breath. Maybe he is in danger and he is trying to save me.

I start thinking about my mom again to distract my thoughts from the other dark ones lurking in the back of my head. She acted strange before my father's death. I thought back to our last conversation...or argument.

Flashback

I walk down the hallway to mama's room. Papa hasn't been home since this morning and he said we shouldn't expect him to be home soon. I decided to come for a visit...my apartment can be lonely sometimes.

Marie, our kind maid, let me in and told me where to find mama. She said that mama isn't herself lately.

I knock on her door, but heard nothing. Deciding not to enter without permission, I make my way to the living room. I sit down and see a letter on the table. I reach for it and open it...it's to mama...from...Alexander? Who could that be? I know I am not suppose to open private letters, but this one smelled of men cologne and it was already opened.

What stood in the letter was what shocked me. "I hope to see you soon, my love -Alexander." I whispered the last sentence.

"Karla?" I turn to face my mother and feel slightly angry towards her. I know that she and papa had it rough these couple of months, but why cheat?

"Who's Alexander, mama?" I ask, surprisingly calm. Her face went from shock, to nervous and finally to calm. "No one really, just a guy who reacted to my job offer of getting a body guard." She answers flatly and I raise a brow.

"Does the job offer involve a date to Clarence's Restaurant? Or a nickname like love?" I ask bitterly and she fiddles with her fingers. "I thought I taught you better, Karla. You know not to look at my privacy!"

"It isn't very private if you leave it on the table where anyone can find it." I mutter and raise from my seat. "I came to visit you after I heard that you weren't well." I walk towards her and stop mere feet away from her, "Only to find some very disappointing news."

"Who is he?" Her eyes darts around the room and her cheeks were a bright red, from anger and embarrassment I presume.

End of flashback

"I wonder who that Alexander really was..." I whisper and stare out the window at the passing fields. I never got that answer, Beth entered right at that moment. Like some telepathic call between them. I can still feel the anger I felt that day. Two days before Papa was murdered. The sadness cascades over me again. 

I sigh and lean my forehead against the cold window when a board comes to view. Greenport. We're heading to a small village just outside of New York City. Hopefully the drama will come to an end soon. I just want to have my normal life back. I just want to wake up in my own bed, in my apartment, where no one is after me and get ready for work without handsome gang members who can walk in at any moment.

It's too much to ask...?

(Edited.)