Chapter 24

The floor is a mess, but that was the least of my concern as I waited for Alexander and his goons to charge at me. I can hear Uncle Sam giving orders behind me and I can hear Carlo cursing, but I didn't bother to look at them, even if I wanted to. They are okay, Karla. 

When the first man appeared I didn't think, I just pulled the trigger. He lands on the floor, screaming and clutching his leg. I didn't want to kill them like I killed Mr Bald over there, but I also didn't want them to live and ruin my life further. So I just shut off all my feelings and opened fire. The bullets flies and the shots rings out. I lose control.

Screams, more shots and a few thuds could be heard, but I don't feel like I have any control over my body anymore.

"Karla!" Carlo grabs my arm and I shoot the wall, about six or more guys lay lifeless on the ground. The house is quiet, yet there was no Alexander on the ground alongside his now dead goons. "Where is he?" I breathe out, my breath coming out in puffs. My chest is burning, my eyes are blurry and I feel like I screamed for an entire day. "I don't know, lets just get out of here." He drags me to the door and when we are outside there wasn't anyone waiting. 

Carlo turns me to face him. He rubs my arms up and down and smiles softly at me. "You did good, princess." He leans in and gives me a very soft kiss on my lips. I feel my shoulders relax and lean into him slightly. When we pull away Ricardo speaks up from behind one of the cars. 

"He ran off."

________________________________________________________________________________

The idea that he wasn't there, or wasn't dead, was unsettling. I mean, if he is still alive he could be getting more people to kill us off. 

"Did you see how she rolled? She killed them all in just a few minutes!" Ricardo exclaims excitedly and I hug myself tighter. "Ricardo, enough." Carlo growls and I feel his arm snaking over my shoulders. "She is still in the car."  Uncle Sam states, "You can't talk about her like that. What happened in there was her very first kill." Ricardo doesn't say a word further from the passenger seat as we drive on.

I am a bit surprise that Uncle Sam insisted on driving. He got shot in the leg, but it didn't hit a muscle. Lucky for him. I lean into Carlo and suppress the dead bodies that is still in the cottage. "What are we going to tell the police?" I ask lowly and Uncle Sam looks at me through the rear view mirror. "Nothing. We don't have to say anything to the police." 

The next turn is New York. It is already  past 4 am. It is Carlo's little girl's birthday. And the thought of that little girl's smile makes me feel a little more willing to face the day, even though I am tired and still shaky. "Uncle Sam?" He looks at me through the rear view mirror, "Can we stop at Charles Street? There is a little girl's birthday we can't miss." He smiles at me, "You should probably get better clothes than those pajamas shorts sweet pea." I blush furiously and nod my head. I feel better, even though I am a murderer. 

Carlo's staring at me. His dark eyes full of questions. I mean, it should be weird for the girl who just shot about six or more men to ask if she can see a five year old? But I made a promise. I grab hold of his hand and give it a squeeze, "We made a deal, remember?" I smile and he smiles back.  

I lean on his shoulder and I feel his hand softly touching my exposed leg. I take in a breath and close my eyes, feeling his rough fingers gently drawing lazy circles on my thigh. I relax my body and he leans his head on top of mine.

Oh Carlo, what are you doing to me? 

(Edited.)