Chapter 26

Previously....

I looked under my welcome mat for the spare key and my heart skipped a beat. It isn't there. I stood up slowly and reached for the handle, it was open.

"Someone was here." I said loud enough for the guys to hear. I felt Carlo's hand on the small off my back as he stepped closer to push the door open. "Be careful." Was his only words as the three of us stepped inside my apartment.

A light flickered on.

"Welcome home, sister."

________________________________________________________________________________

New York.

Beth's seated on the hanging chair inside my living room. Her red lips are pulled back in a tight smile and her hands are folded in her lap. I didn't feel scared or frightened by her...but I knew that her presence could mean trouble. I take a slow step forward to get a better view at her.

"Hello, Beth." I give her a smile and walk in the direction of my room. "What brings you here?" I hear her high heels clicking behind me, knowing fully well that she is following me. I think back to the funeral. She wasn't fake crying. I know her. That was a heart sobbing cry for losing her father.  

"I thought you'd never come back home, Karla." She speaks up. Her voice is soft, melodic. "I missed you..." I am surprised by her words, but didn't show it. I won't. What if she is working alongside my mother? "My wedding is next week, and I hoped you will make it?" I pull out my jeans and sweater. Wedding. She would have married a scumbag who is out for her money. A pig.

"Sure, when and where?" I take off the dirty pajamas and pull on my clothes. She couldn't stop talking about her wedding while I was getting ready, but I pretended not to be suspicious about why she is in my apartment. Beth is always the child who wanted to be on our mother's good side. For the simple fact that Mother dearest always spoiled her favorite child. I was spoiled by Papa, but not with clothes and make up. Attention and love was my favorite thing in the whole world when I was child...I doubt that I want it right now. 

I am not even surprised by her lack of attention when I threw the dirty pajamas in my laundry hamper. Or the fact that I have bruises on my legs or the few blood drops that stained my pajamas either. Beth doesn't notice things immediately. Or maybe she did notice, she is just ignoring it. Ever since she was a little girl, she was totally naive about what is happening around her. The more I find out about my father, the more I wonder if I am also as naive as she is.

I am being hunted down right now and here she is, talking about marrying an asshole who I probably shot dead back at the cabin. I realize now with a slight pang of guilt that I should have looked closer at my murders. A shudder runs down my spine. I killed multiple people. I am being hunted, yet I shot each and everyone of them like a hunter. Is that what Papa did for fun? Killing sprees?  

I was ready to head back to the living room where the guys are waiting, Beth is hot on my trail. "Karla,wait!" She grabs my arm and I turn to face her, "I have to speak with you before you leave, please?" I nod my head, "I have been waiting for you the entire month since you have been gone." She looks like a frightened puppy. "I don't know what's going on, but I have to warn you. Mother has gone completely crazy!" Her eyes fills with tears, "She told me that she wants you dead..." 

(Edit.)