Chapter 10

We aren't going home. I watch as he turns off the road and cuts the engine. It's already past 5 pm. All my obsessive thoughts comes flying in. Is he going to kill me? Does he want to kill me? Maybe uncle Sam was wrong about him. Maybe he wants the money too. I bite my lip and twiddle my thumbs. Act innocent. He can't know you're on to him.

"Stay in the car, princess. I have someone to meet." Carlo orders and I feel a slight relief. Okay, I could be wrong. Or he could have back up. I shake my head and stare down my lap. He gets out and gets something from the trunk, slamming it shut which causes me to jump. I watch his back (a very handsome back) and frown. Who's waiting for him?

Probably one of his fuck buddies, I try to think of the hoes he probably sleeps with. His gang member after all. Or some cannibal, he probably got the dead body out of his trunk so that he can feed it. Or it is bait to let the thing eat me! 

I grimace at that thought and stay put for about ten minutes more. If he is planning on killing me, and there is back up, I probably have to escape. I need to. I can't allow them to kill me and leave my body on the side of the road. I get out the car and close the door as quietly as it will allow. It clicks shut. Perfect.

I walk slowly forward where I saw Carlo disappear to and stop dead in my tracks when I hear voices. It's so loud and clear that I can easily hear what is being said. "No, this is all he gave me." Carlo's voice sounds impatient. 

"You sure? He promised more. If he lied to me you know what'll happen." Another voice snaps. His voice gives me chills. It is so cold and harsh.

"Listen, I am getting tired of doing my father's dirty work." Carlo snaps back. I take it back, he is much more scary. "If you have to do what you have to, fine. Just don't mess with me." Carlo growls and I step forward, only to regret it when I step on a twig. The snap sounds louder than their voices. 

How ironic.

"Who's there?!" The other voice snaps and I step out in full view. A man smiles at me with yellow teeth and I grimace. Disgusting. Doesn't he know what a tooth brush is? 

Gross.

"Well, well, who do we have here?" The man asks and Carlo scowls. "I thought I told you to stay in the damn car!" He growls and storms towards me. Stuffing money in his pocket as well. "And I thought I told you to not bring visitors, Carlo." The man speaks up, brushing his long, greasy hair back. "I'll make sure to let your father know about this." I am not sure if he meant about me, or the other thing they were talking about.

I frown and Carlo pulls me back to the car. "I can't believe you are so naive to go out there." He says and opens the car door, pushing me inside. He didn't do it roughly, but I get the point. He is mad at me. I don't speak a word.

He gets in as well, gripping the steering wheel hard.

"How much did you hear?" His voice is dangerously low. I shrug and look away, trying to ignore the fear that cripples through my body. I don't like it when he is mad at me. The way his eyes darkens and his tone gets cold, it is just frightening. I may have thought that I was brave to not fear my father, but this man is something different.

"Goddammit Karla! How much did you hear?!" He booms and I flinch, but quickly compose myself. I have to lie. If he knows that I heard pretty much everything, he will get more mad. I need him to calm down. 

"Nothing!" I breath out, "Just take me home." I lower my head and stare at my lap. 

The ride is once again silent, but there's a tension in the air that feels like it's suffocating me. I sigh and get out my cellphone, deciding that I might as well keep myself busy. Color Switch is my best option.

After failing the same level for the fifth time in ten minutes, I breathed out in annoyance. I look out of the corner of my eye at Carlo, but he doesn't seem to notice me. "What's your father's name?" I ask casually, locking my phone and placing it on my lap. I am not really in the mood for small talk, but with a half an hour left before we reach home I guess I could burst the tension.

"Roberto." Came his curt reply and I sigh. This time he takes notice, "Roberto Ashton." I frown. That isn't Carlo's surname. "But your surname-"

"Is my mother's." He cuts me off and I nod my head slowly. I guess I will always be confuse by Carlo and Ricardo's family. I don't miss the stiffness of his shoulders and the deep frown on his face. He knows now that I have heard about his dad. I just won't ask what the money is about, although I have a pretty good idea.

"And Ricardo?" I ask softly, looking out at the darkening sky. I need to get to know him. I have to if I want to feel safe around him. My obsessive thoughts I had earlier spooks me. "Has our father's surname. Since he was born before me and my mother didn't want my last name to be shamed by my father's ways." He shrugs and I frown at his mother's excuse.

It's pathetic.

I didn't bother to talk further, instead I stare out of the window the rest of the way. My thoughts were somewhere else other than the breathtaking sunset in front of me.

(Edited.)