OHD: Chapter Twelve

Dr. Jose Luca Grazi

"So when will I get to meet this significant other of yours?" I rolled my eyes at my father's voice as I clicked my tongue, rolling my eyes. "Significant other, what are you, 80 years old? And no, I don't have a significant other." I said, filing my nails as I sat in my chair. "Oh, son, but you do have someone that's making you happy, am I right?" Jonathan Grazi murmured in a teasing tone and I grumbled. "What makes you say that, oh dear father of mine?" I raised a brow as I stared at nothing in particular.

"The fact that you didn't deny it," He chuckles lowly. "And the fact that you sound awfully happy, more than you normally do." He stated and I let out a huff. "...shut up, padre." I snorted as I lifted up my hand, admiring my ring with a small smile on my face. "Maybe one day, sometime soon you'll meet him," I suggested. "Just tell me a time and a place." I chirped and Jonathan grunted. "Hopefully he's better than that Zy bastard. Boy's lucky I ain't put a cap in his ass, figlio di puttana!" He cursed and I shook my head, noticing that Kaiden walked into the room, wearing slacks and a dark blue button-down shirt with his hair gelled down, looking fine as all get out.

"Yeah, he sure is, padre." I let out a soft sigh, biting my lip as I took in the sight. "Much better than you think." I let a grin come to my lips as Kaiden sat down across from me, pulling out his phone. "If he's got you saying those things, maybe he's that one guy who changes your life for the greater, you get my gist? Maybe he's that one guy you've been looking for, eh little shit?" My father teased in a high pitched voice but I kinda understood what he meant. "Padre," I looked up at Kaiden, who was staring at me with a small smile on his face. "I get the feeling that your words might be right." I whispered, looking at the man who seemingly captured my heart. "Eh, Jose?" My father seemed surprised and I could tell that he was a bit bewildered by my admitting to his words. "I really have to meet him now if he sounds as great as you're making him out to be." He replied softly and I nodded, already making plans mentally.

"I know. Hey, can I call you later?" I asked. "Yea, sure. I might be sleep though, but let me know." Jonathan drawled and I let out a chuckle. "Okay. I love you, padre." I murmured. "I love you too." He said before he hung up the call. I stared at my phone with a fond look in my eyes as a grin coursed my lips. My father really was the best man in my life.

"Hey Luca, I have a question." Kaiden grabs my attention and I turn to look at him. "Yes sir, what is it?" I murmured and he let out a sigh as if he was unsure of how to word his question. "How come I only ever hear you talking to your father?" He questioned and my eyes widened. "You never mentioned your mother and I never hear you talk to her." He said and I stared at him with wide eyes before looking away with a grimace. "...I don't have one." I replied softly as I glared at the floor, wanting so badly to lie and say that she was dead, just so I didn't have to deal with the constant reminder of her nonexistent presence.

"What do you mean?"

I knew Kaiden had an idea of what I meant and I knew he wanted me to tell him the truth and I did too, for the sake of this relationship. Even if he wasn't telling me everything, I couldn't not tell him nothing. "When I was a kid, I had the best relationship with my mother, Lucille Grazi." I started, my heart hurting. "She was the sweetest woman ever and she always told me she loved me. She made sure I was happy and tended to and she always made time for me, no matter what and it's kind of funny to see how someone so sweet and gentle could turn out to be someone so vicious." I chuckled but there was no humor in my tone. "When I was 16, I came out as gay to her, thinking she would be more understanding than my father." I swallowed, a stray tear exiting my eye.

"She didn't say a word but she merely walked away like she went mad for a sec. I sat in my room wondering where she went and why she didn't say a doggone thing but when she came back with a whip, I kinda got the feeling where she was going." I closed my eyes, remembering my own screams. "That night while my father was away at work, she whipped me so hard on my back, I could've sworn I ain't have no more flesh left." I cracked a grin full of pain. I still had the scars from where the whip made contact with my back and the memories of seeing my own blood staining the wood. "From that point on, she didn't say a word to me." I shrugged and Kaiden took my hands in his.