OHD: Chapter Fourteen

Dr. Jose Luca Grazi

The dark storm blackened the night with its clouds and promises of thunder and lightning. 

That's what it was that woke up, in need of heat in this cold room. I patted the bed, my eyes closed as feelings of concern and worry plagued my mind. Something weird was going on with Kaiden and I was afraid that it might be something that could ruin us. 

It was 3:42 in the morning and I was rolling around, trying to find my wolf that had the heat of a warming blanket but all I got was the cold residue left behind on his side. 

"No, Jasmine." He chuckled and I peered in around the corner to see that he was on the phone, a large grin crushing his face. "I'm not sure anymore." He looked down at the ground before letting out a loud laugh. "You know I love you, Jas." He said with a look of fondness in his eyes, it made my heart lurch in jealousy. "Well, it'll be your lucky day." Kaiden let out a sigh. "I'm coming to see you soon." He whispered and I narrowed my eyes. I heard the sound of a woman's voice on the other side of the phone as he rubbed his face.

I had no idea what to expect or what to do because I didn't want to jump to conclusions but at the same time, it was killing me to not inquire about anything. It reminded me too much of the moment before I found out that Zy was cheating on me. It was a poor mindset but I told myself that if I didn't question anything of Kaiden, the outcome would be different. 

So that's exactly what I did.

I turned around, forgetting that I even woke up, and made my way back up the stairs, wincing ever so slightly when he said, "I love you too, Jasmine," with a happy chuckle and I found myself shutting my eyes closed to avoid any tears falling or dripping out of my eyes without my consent. "Have a good night, I'll definitely call you tomorrow." Here I was, standing out my door and looking down at the stairs with a look of utmost anger, fear, and despair as he turned the lights off. 

"You're thinking too much of it, ya bloody idiot!" I told myself as I made my way back into the sanctuary of my bed, pleased that it could do no wrong to me. "Kaiden isn't like Zy." I whispered lowly, desperately trying to convince myself. Here it was, Kaiden couldn't tell me anything but I knew he was willing to tell that woman who he was conversing with, everything if need be. It was the aura that I got from the call like she was someone he knew for a long time.

And that upset because I've told him anything and everything about my life and I only knew so little of his.

"You're okay, Jose." I shut my eyes, clenching my body tight as I willed all self-deprecating thoughts out of my mind. "You're okay." I knew that I might or might not have been thinking too deep, but there's only so much that one can do and take when they've been hurt so cruelly before.

I turned my face to look at the wall, away from Kaiden's side so that I could properly assess the way I felt. It would be so wrong and so cruel for Kaiden to disregard my feelings like they were nothing when he knew how much and how hard it was for me to give up and let him in. It was the utmost trust that I had given him and I would be damned if I let myself get hurt again, no matter who it was.

"Oh, you're up?" I cut my eyes from the wall to Kaiden, who was standing there, a look of surprise on his face. "Yes," I muttered in reply, looking away quickly. "Please close the door." I said and I put the blanket over my face, biting my lip. I knew he was confused but he didn't say anything about as he slid in beneath the covers behind me, his arms immediately wrapped around my waist. I let out an unconscious sigh as he snuggled his nose in the crook of my nose, inhaling deeply. 

I didn't turn around to face him but instead, I just stared at the wall blankly, sleep not coming to me. It was moments before he spoke, the loud crash of the rain hitting the window as thunder echoed around the house. "You know," Kaiden whispered into my ear and I fought an involuntary shiver. "I know you heard my phone call." My eyes widened in shock but his thick grasp around me kept me from moving anywhere. "I could smell you." He confessed and I held my breath for the news, unsure of what to expect. "Anyway, I could tell that the gears were turning in your head, my love," He chuckled. "So I wanted to tell you that whatever it was that you're thinking, it's wrong." He leaned forward, turning my head towards him and he placed a kiss on my lips, a passionate and slow one to convey how he really felt.