Chapter 20: The Headphones

Like I've said in my last chapter at the end, I was at a summer camp for the last two weeks! So I couldn't upload. My favorite part of the camp was going down this gaping hole in the ground which led the a pretty small cave.

Robin's POV (I still don't know how to write in his point of view.)

I listened to the recordings, Not the ones in Danny's apartment, but the one I had slipped into Ember's hoodie. It was during the time she hugged me at the costume  store. Of course, I still got that ninja costume I was wanting after they left.

I was back in the mansion, on my computer. It only took ten minutes to get back. A pair of headphones was worn on my head, for, well, obvious reasons. My computer was unfortunately full on everything. I'm planning to delete a few unused files or save some in a hard drive, but currently nothing was being saved. The recordings I was getting were completely live and won't be able to get again. So I had a notebook in my hand, preparing to take any notes necessary...

NOPE! I am absolutely not using an actual notebook. I'm using my Ipad Pro, and typing it all down. I'm a rich kid, better embrace the benefits of being one. Even if there is hundreds of downsides of being one/

"And this is where you'll find the best food in Gotham: the Kestrel Cafe!" I hear Danny say, which I wrote down.

"Geez Danny, ya give us to much credit."  A different voice spoke. I started paying extra attention, feeling the familiarity in the guy's voice towards Danny. It would seem as if they were friends of sorts.

"Aster!" I quickly wrote the name down the name, planning to do a background check on him later on.

"It's been a while, want to usual?" I noted this: Danny was a familiar customer in Kestrel Cafe.

I continued to listen for a while.

"Why are you doing this?"  I heard Ember ask. And at that moment, I heard a knocking at the door. I quickly decided whether to answer it and let the pair of earphones down, or to continue listening. I chose the first option, I was just hoping I wouldn't miss anything big.

I got up from my chair and opened the door, revealing Alfred.

"My goodness, Master Richard, what may you being doing in such dreary room?" Alfred asked. My room was currently a mess, the lights off, and the blinds were down. The only light came from my computer screen and my Ipad.

I looked at the room, and then back at Alfred. "Never mind that, what was it you needed?" I tried to rush the conversation, thinking of all the information that trickling down from my fingertips.

"Well I was just wondering if you were to have lunch, Master Bruce, unfortunately, won't be joining." 'Of course he won't,' i thought, rolling my eyes. Bruce hardly ever eats with me.

"Now, Richard." Alfred started. "Master Bruce is a very busy man. Even if it is very unhealthy to eat in such an unorganized manner, he is still the head of this household." I don't know how many times we've had this conversation, but it was enough for me t become sick just by hearing it.

"I'm a bit busy right now. I'll eat later." I slowly closed the door, but I was struck by something midway. This is what Bruce would say...

I had to think; do I want to be like  Bruce? I knew the answer to that clearly- no. I knew, with every fiber of my being, that I didn't want to be the kind of person Bruce -no, is. All he ever does is hide behind that mask. And I know that I do too, but it was because I, at first, wanted to spend at least a bit of time with Bruce, him being my caretaker and all. Now? Now I'm just wearing it so I can help people, not just push them away. That's all he does, push people away.

Who would have thought that 'Bruce Wayne' Barely spends a single crummy minute, excluding the times he was Batman, with the boy he got? And I hate, absolutely hate, how everybody just sees him as "Billionaire Playboy Bruce Wayne" and me as "The Boy that Bruce Wayne Got" when I am much more than that.

So, for sure, I want to be nothing like Bruce. I want to be my own person.

I looked back at the headphones, I could never retrieve any information those things can give me...

"On second thought, how about we eat together, Alfred?" I called out to him.

But it doesn't matter, I need to relax every and then. And I'll be spending this time right now with my butler.

Danny POV

A few hours later

I opened the door to my apartment. I had just returned from work. I was squeezing my eyes shut, hoping no more things were torn to shreds.

As I walked through the small hallway, leading towards the living room, I felt worry envelope my mind. I took a deep breath and slowly pried my eyes open. Surprisingly, it wasn't a horrific sight in front of me. It was a the same exact living I left it as. Though, the navy blue couch was still in shreds, and it's scattered remains were almost everywhere. Worry no longer constrained me, but perplexity instead.

I wandered the apartment, peaking around ever so often. I finally found myself in the front of my  room's door. I opened it up, half expecting to see a mutilated Ember on the floor. But to my surprise, there wasn't. Instead, Ember was sitting in front of my computer playing some online games.

As anyone would feel at that moment, I was very confused. There wasn't any sign of Spooky, so I started to fear the worst.

"Hey, Em. I'm back from work so..." My voice soon started to hint with worry. "I want to check with Spooky. Where is he?" I tried my best not to sound as if I was accusing her of doing anything.

"Oh, Spooky?" She replied, no bothering to look up from the screen. "She's... aroun-"

And that's when I heard a loud thump come from the bathroom.

______________________________________________

Guess what, Nightlings?!?

Not only did we hit 1k on votes, I've officially been on Wattpad for an entire year! Isn't that amazing?!?

I have a question for all you guys; what do you find interesting in this book? What makes it so you guys want to read this small, weird fanfiction? I've read many fanfiction that's pretty good but doesn't have over 1k reads. So please tell me, what makes this so interesting to you guys?

<Bat Fact>

In the first issues of Batman, Batman would actually kill a lot. It was only later that he didn't kill the criminals.