Chapter 29: Aftershock

So sorry for not updating! Recently got ungrounded  and whipped up this short chapter! I apologize for the shortness by the way.

DICK'S POV

I stood slightly confused, eyebrow raised and all. I guess my question-filled face gave the hint that Bruce should continue talking.

"It was rumored through the town that the Fenton's really did catch ghosts and experimented on them. it's only a theory, but 'Phantom' was one of the ghosts they experimented."

"B-but don't ghost go through things like the Spectre or Deadman?" Even if magic existed, this was way too far. It was much to... crazy to think of it.

"I've done a little research on ghosts from logs from Zatanna, Jason Blood, and Constantine. Ghosts are typically held down by someone who can't let go, a specific memory, something's weighing them down, or for vengeance. Some ghosts are much powerful than others, they can perfectly look human and stay tangible. That could explain Phantom." Batman swiveled his chair back to the front of the computer and pulled up a few articles from the magic people we know onto the screen.

I didn't know what he was saying. He was putting extra emphasis on 'vengeance.' If Amity Park was all the way in Illinois, why go to Gotham? Where was room for vengeance over here? Besides, I didn't believe entirely in the 'ghost' theory. It was way out of our comfort zone. We should call Zatanna or any magically-knowledgable person we know just to make sure.

"What are you saying, Bruce?" I asked, after the short moment of silence.

"I'm saying, if Daniel really was a ghost, then he may have killed the Fenton family and it wasn't an explosion at a restaurant. Daniel may have actually lived in Gotham before being experimented one by the Fentons. I'm planning to look through teen deaths in Gotham from the past one hundred years as well as Amity Park deaths just in case. " Bruce said. I worked it out in my head, it was a bit of a stretch, but it may be true... Though, once we captured Danny we could question him and put him behind bars.   Besides, even if it was a stretch, Bruce would want to see every possibility. And this was a possibility.

Before, I actually thought Danny was a nice guy, but I guessed these were his true colors. Like a wolf in sheep's clothing. I actually thought he was misunderstood or even innocent, I was wrong. I couldn't think Danny as the goofy and awkward guy he was before. Maybe he was never that goofy and awkward guy, maybe Phantom was really who he was.

"Isn't this more of a job for the people who actually know how to deal with the paranormal?" I questioned.

"As much as I would like to call on Zatanna, Blood, or Constantine, their all busy on missions. Zatanna's doing an undercover mission in Malaysia, Blood's recovering from some sort of attack in Vegas in a hidden magic hospital, and Constantine is leading a demon investigation in England; all are unreachable. The best way we could deal with this is with their notes and ourselves." Bruce explained carefully. I groaned inside, trying to think of any other magic people we knew. Magic was definitely not my forte. 

"Is there anything you need me to do?" I asked. Bruce would never tell me deeply about something like this. he always had a reason. no matter how fake his reasoning may sound or how many times he lied, there was always a reason. If he wanted to tell me out of his own free will without giving me the analysis file, then he needed me to do something.

"I want you to keep Daniel thinking you're his friend as long as you can. This is no longer a simple mission to find radioactive radiation, this is an undercover mission regarding a supervillain which is in use of radioactive material. Give him a secret so he could trust you, not your Robin secret though. Build your trust. See if he's really part of the magic world." Batman said stoically.

I knew what secret I was keeping from him to use.

I think it was about time Phantom knew me as Richard Grayson, ward of Bruce Wayne.

Danny'S POV

After Clockwork got me to calm down, he explained how the entire future of Gotham rested on my hands. After that, he ended it by taking the medallion of me. And, before I knew it, everything was moving again. I snapped my neck to Ember, remembering that Spooky was heading straight towards her.

As if by chance, she moved herself to the left, letting Spooky ram herself into the tv table. She quickly got up, rustling her feathers a bit. I quickly scooped her up into my arms.

"You ready for this movie marathon, 'twixt?" She asked, the familiar creepy sounding music came from the tv played. I let out a nervous smile still caught up with everything that Clocky said.

She plopped herself onto to slightly-torn couch with the remote on hand. I slowly sat near her, Spooky still in my arms. I gave another nervous smile, waiting for the movie to begin. I could hear the crunching of chips from Ember as she ate them right up, but I wasn't as happy as her, I didn't know when this uneasy feeling would end...

Ember nudged my arm a little, snapping me out of my daze. "You okay? You haven't touched the chips for quite some time. Is it because of the whole clown thing? I mean, I know I was panicking a little while ago, but we gotta." Ember reminded me.

"I-I know, I guess I'm still a little shaken." I lied, trying my best to keep calm. I was only sufficiently good at lying, not all that great. Eventually, Em left alone and we continued to watch the movie.

I couldn't pay attention, a scene played after the scene and I was submerged in my own thoughts.  Before I knew it, we were on Halloweentown 2. I didn't touch a single bit of snacks on the plate in front of me, too many things were on my mind.

Before I knew it, it was morning.

I jolted up on the couch, looking around. I looked to my left and saw Ember slumped on the arm of the couch, a slight trail of saliva dripping from her mouth. The TV was looping on Halloweentown High, the screen still playing. I slightly smiled at the hilarious face Ember was making. My smile faded when I remembered the events that took place yesterday.

I slowly got off the couch, trying not to wake up Em. I let out a silent sigh of relief as I heard a snore come from her. I spotted Spooky on top of one of the wooden chairs near the dining table. I crept into my room, closing the door behind me.

"Activation Code: B4-D3A1," I said out loud, waiting until the computer processed it. It took a few seconds but the computer started buzzing. Then a noise was heard from the closet.

I walked towards it, opening its wooden sliding doors. I pushed away from the dirty laundry on the floor of the closet. The buzzing was heard most from it. Finally, the floor started to open up. When the floor fully opened, it revealed the metal contraption I made when Ember and I were in a fight.

It was about 2x2 feet long on the floor. I flipped a switch and ectoplasm started to spill a little from it And then it became a portal. It was a floor portal where you basically just drop into it. I spent most of my time making it, saying how it would be better when Ember left and I could return to my mostly normal life. It took me five days to use build it, but I never told Em. I don't know why. Maybe, secretly, I wanted her to stay and I didn't want her to leave. She was my friend and I knew that our fight was pathetic.

Now I was thinking of telling Em about the portal, get her through it. I was in danger of Batman and some secret ghost society, possibly, bent on killing me or worse. It wasn't safe for Ember over here. She'd be better of in the Zone, safe and sound. Maybe I'll tell her about it after we found her guitar, then I'll tell her. Besides, that's what she wanted, right? To visit me for a little and go back to the Zone. She already felt unwelcomed for about a week, she probably wanted to be in the Zone for so long.

Right?

_________________________

<Bat Fact>

Zatanna made a short appearance in Batman Beyond episode "Out of the Past" (season three, episode five) in a collection of pictures that Bruce is looking at on his computer of past loves, alongside Selina Kyle  and Lois Lane.