60. You Surprise Him [Personal]

This is for you, moonlightxhsx.
--------------------------------------------------

The electric buzz in the air fades to the background when I step outside of the arena and into the cutting cold air. My body is still high on the adrenaline since the rehearsal for the show ended only half an hour ago. Despite the few droplets of sweat that run down my face, I cross my arms to guard my body from the cold. It's already dark out and the only sources of light are the street lamps that cast an orange glow over the streets and the silver moon that sparkles in the dark, winter evening.

I take a quick look at the watch on my wrist to see it's already six o'clock. With wide eyes I realize I have to hurry if I want to be on time. In my head the plan I have been working on for four months finally starts to get shape. Butterflies build in the pit of my stomach and I grin excitedly.

Ever since my tour started this year I've felt unwell. After a week or two I realized the sickness might not be caused by the flu, but by something a little bit more serious. Pregnant. At least the positive pregnancy tests told me so. But I couldn't believe it in that moment. I've always wanted to be a mom, even more so when things started to get more serious with Harry, and now that it is actually happening, I can't believe it. I have been thinking about trying to discuss the topic with Harry after both our tours ended, but it seems like I don't have to do that any longer.

From that day on adreline has been pumping through my veins and the smiles on my face are never too far away. Even after all the morning sickness and the fainting, I still find a reason to smile.

Heavy footfalls behind me make me stop and turn around. I see my stylist - and close friend - Jenny appear from the dark of the night. Her cheeks are pink and her steady breaths leave a cloud of cold air behind. Her teeth show when she grins from ear to ear.

"It's time, innit?" Jenny's eyebrows lift as she asks the question. Nodding my head I fiddle with the wristwatch that indicates I need to get a move on finding a cab.

"Is it weird that I'm not even nervous? Like, I'm so ready to finally start to build a life with him and this is the first step in the right direction," I say.

Jenny steps closer and places a hand on my arm to comfort me. "It's not weird, Micaela. Like you said, you're ready for this and I'm sure Harry is, too."

I nod along her words, knowing she's right. Harry is going to jump in the air from happiness when he hears the news, I'm sure. He's going to be such a great dad, I'll probably have to compete with him for the title of favorite parent. The thought makes me smile, again. It seems like I'm always smiling nowadays.

With Jenny's reassuring words and the excitement that floods through my body, I signal a cab and tell the driver my destination. The short-haired man nods, barely taking a peek in his rear view mirror when he steps on the pedal and drives away from the small concert arena. I doubt the taxi driver recognizes me, seeing as he kept his attention on the road the entire drive, and that makes my shoulders relax a little. I slump against the seat. I heave a deep sigh before I inhale again.

The drive to the arena Harry is preforming tonight lasts half an hour if I counted right. Half an hour isn't that long, and normally I'm a very patient person, but now not so. I've been waiting for four months to tell Harry the news and those thirty minutes pass like hours. My knee bobs up and down obnoxiously and my fingers always find their way toward my collarbone to fidget with the necklace I'm wearing.

Suddenly my phone vibrates in my pocket and my knee stops its movement. I unlock the device and the text conversation with Clare -Harry's keyboardist and a close friend - pops up on the screen.