Chapter 2: beach

We stay at Mikes house a little while longer before packing up the kids in Mike's van and drive home.

We pull up at my house, and Dad is waiting for us in the drive way. I go to get out of the car, but Dad stops me. He opens the back passenger door, then Mike locks the doors. I look over at him angrily, but he just shakes his head as Dad grabs the kids and carries them inside. Once they're inside, Mike pulls back out of the drive way.

"Where are we going!?"

"You'll see." I roll my eyes and resign to staring out my window. It's not long before I'm fast asleep.

I wake up to the gentle shaking of my shoulder. I open my eyes and look out the window to see that we are at the beach. Mike smiles at me, but I smack his arm. "It's freezing out!" he laughs, opens my door, and pulls me out.

"When has that ever stopped us?" he grabs my hand and pulls me down the beach to a picnic he has set up on the sand. I sit down on the blanket, and Mike walks around to the other side and sits down. He pulls a lighter out of his pocket and lights the single candle on the middle of the blanket. He then opens up the basket and start eating.

We don't speak at all while we're eating. When we're done eating, Mike finally speaks.

"So, I got you something for your birthday." I sit up straight, waiting patiently. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a metal chain. He sets it in my hand. I inspect it more closely and see that it is a small heart shaped locket with a C on the front. I open it up. One picture is of the kids, and the other is the picture of me, Alex, and Mike that we had taken at this exact location a little over a year earlier.

"It's beautiful". Mike stands up, walks behind me, and clasps the locket around my neck. He then pulls me to my feet and takes a deep breath.

"I got something else for you too." he reaches into his pocket, pulls out a small box, and gets down on one knee. My heart starts pumping wildly against my chest. "Cassidy Williams, will you marry me?"