Chapter 13: The Ballad of Mona Lisa

Mike's POV

I look at the hurt expression on Cass's face as I realize what I just said. Before I can say anything, Cass whips around and runs inside. I let out a quiet scream of frustration. I didn't mean any if what I had just said about Cass and the quads. I love the quads, and I can't imagine life with out them. A fork of lightning flashes across the sky. A few drops of rain fall on my face, but I can't go inside. I can't face Cass. I run my fingers through my hair. Tears start forcing their way through my barrier, but it doesn't matter anymore.

No one can tell you're cry in the rain.

I let out a sigh and angrily wipe away my tears. Cass is right. I need to be brave. For the kids. I quickly stand up and go inside.

---------

Cass's POV

I feel calming circles being rubbed into my back. I look back and see Cassandra. I quickly wipe away my tears, not wanting Hannah to see, but I know I'm too late. I hear fussing from beside me. I sit up and pick Mere up out of her car seat. I hear thunder in the distance and sigh. All of the kids are afraid if storms. I'm not gonna get much sleep tonight. I guess it doesn't matter. It's not like I would have gotten any anyway. I gently rock Mere back and forth, ignoring the questions Cassandra and Hannah are aiming at me. Eventually, Mere quits crying and falls back asleep. I lay her down in her car seat and look up at Hannah.

"Did you tell her?". She nods and I nod back. "Good"

"What's wrong Cass?" I shake my head. I can't do this right now. "Please Cass. Just tell me." I look into Hannah's pleading eyes.

"Your brother's an idiot." Hannah laughs, and soon I start laughing too. It has been a crazy night.

"What did he do the time?" I stop laughing as I hear crying down by my feet. A roll of thunder shakes the house, and all of the kids wake up. I pick up Mere and Noah, and Cassandra and Hannah pick up the others. We rock them and try to get them to go to sleep, but to no prevail. Another round of thunders sends Jace and Caitlin running into Hannah's room. They curl up against their mom. It is going to be a long night.