Seven

Harry got into the backseat of the SUV that next morning. Not long after, Liam joined him. The ride to the hospital was a tense silence. Harry just wanted to get to the appointment and talk about his little peach inside of him. He didn't want to talk about anything having to do with Louis. He just wanted to focus on his baby. Once they were there, Preston parked in front of the side door leading into the motherhood ward. The two of them got out and rushed into the hospital before anyone saw them. Thankfully, the ward wasn't out front of the hospital and was instead towards the back so the people in the lot and passing by couldn't see much of anything.

There was a bit of tension in the air as they sat in the waiting room, waiting for the nurse to call Harry's name. It was nice that his primary doctor made the trip up to Manchester to do the appointment, but it would be even better if he was sitting next to Louis rather than Liam. They were back in their home turf for a spell. It felt just a tad bit more real. Once Harry was back home, it would feel even more real because he would imagine his little peach running around and playing. The only painful part to that thought was that he would be alone in that house. It would just be him until the baby was born. Then it would be just them two. Harry would be a single father, not knowing what in the world to do or how to raise a child on his own. He wouldn't be seeing his ex nearly everyday like he used to because of the hiatus. He was lucky if Louis would even try to see the kid with what he had said to him.

In a way, Harry was thankful that the band was taking a break. It was a blessing considering his condition and as much as he didn't want it to happen, he knew that it was needed. It had been five years straight of touring and they were getting tired. Harry had a baby on the way and he needed to take care of it like a normal father would. He didn't want his child to be raised by nannies or take the child all around the world in record time. It would cause the poor baby such stress and he didn't want that. He was putting enough on it now.

"Harry, the doctor's ready to see you," the nurse announced, catching and interrupting his thoughts.

Liam and Harry stood up, the other boy looking at him with a small smile. Harry returned it slightly and proceeded into the room. He was nervous, knowing that he was going to find out what his little peach was. He was actually starting to debate on whether or not he actually wanted to know, but disregarded that thought immediately because he knew that he would regret not finding out as soon as the appointment was over.

"How've you been, Harry?" the nurse asked once he was positioned onto the ultrasound table.

"That's great. Touring been alright?" she wondered.

"It's been...performing has been good. I'm not so exhausted anymore, thankfully. According to literally everyone, my hair has been looking better than it ever has before," he told her, deciding not to weigh in on the negatives that were surrounding him.

"That's a good sign. You're entering your second trimester. You've probably increased your appetite as well," she giggled. "You're keeping out of stress, I hope."

He felt Liam's eyes burning into him as he spoke. "I'm trying my best, but somehow, it keeps trying to find me."

"Well, keep shutting the door in its face if you can," she urged. Her eyes drifted to Liam. "Is this the father of baby?"

Harry's heart dropped slightly at the question, feeling slightly embarrassed. "No, he's just a friend. Louis couldn't, um, make it."

The nurse gave him a sympathetic look, most likely reading between the lines what had happened. "That's too bad. Finding out the gender of your baby is an exciting time for mummy and daddy. At least you've got someone with you though."

Harry looked over at Liam for the first time that day, meeting his brown eyes. He inspected his face; he looked almost like he was in a hurry. He kept glancing towards the door and at the wall clock. It hurt Harry that he wanted to hurry up and get the appointment over with. Here Harry thought that Liam actually cared.