Kindest

Shout-out to Danlucy who generously voted in different chapters and made my day. Also I want to thank my good friend who has been following this story and supporting me. Love you ishi!

".. and this.." I say putting a bottle of vinegar inside the cart. I and Chris are currently shopping for mom's bachelorette party. Mom said a straight no to go out so I arranged a party at home and brought drinks. Only dinner part remains which I have to cook.

Chris volunteered to accompany me since he wants to learn how to cook. He is good but he wants to be perfect. I like this thing of his, he always wants to learn something new. "Are you sure you are just cooking for you and your some friends, not the whole colony?" He asks pointing at the brimming cart.

"I don't know how much everyone can eat so I have to make surplus and Austin and Gabe will kill me if I won't save some for them." I tell as we move forward. I check my list to see what's next. Parsley.

We move to the next isle. I was just scanning through the rack when I heard a kid's cry. More specifically a little girl's cry. I straighten up and look towards the direction of the voice.

There stands, a few steps away from me, a little girl who would barely be five. She calls her mom between her cries and I know she is lost. People walk past her, ignoring her. How can they? I wait for a few seconds, thinking her mom will come to fetch her but nothing happens.

I look at Chris. He is also looking at the girl with a frown marring his forehead. That's it. And I walk to the girl. I crouch down in front of her. She looks at me for a second before going back to crying.

"What happened honey?" I take her small petite hands in mine.

"M.. my mom... I can't f.. find her." She says in between her cries. She hugs me tightly and cries loudly. My eyes well up tears as well. I can't see little kids in pain.

"Do you remember her cell number?" I ask her. She nods. I take out my cell and dial the number which she tells. I tap the call option and place the phone near my ear. "What's your name dear?" I ask.

"Tessie Anderson." She says and starts crying again. I pick her up from the ground.

"Hush honey.. don't cry.. I'll take you home if needed." I try to calm her down. Just then her mother picks up the phone.

"Hello?" She asks.

"Mrs Anderson speaking?" I can't hide the bitterness in my voice.

"Yes? Why?"

"Do you have a daughter named Tessie?"

"Yes I do. Who are you?"

"Pray tell me where is she right now?"

"She is here with me." There is a pause on the other end. "Oh my god! Who are you and where is my daughter? I'll go straight to the police if she doesn't come back to me!" She shouts at me.

"She is here with me, safe, in the supermarket, where you forgot her. I'm the one who should be going to the police, reporting your carelessness." I scold her.

"Oh... I'm really sorry. I'll be there in five." And she ends the line. I huff angrily.

"She'll be here soon cupcake." I tell Tessie. She nods. I wipe away her tears.

Tessie's mom comes after exactly five minutes. I was sitting with Tessie on the public chairs inside the mart. She is a really cute girl and talks even cutely. How can her mom be so careless.

"Tess!" She shouts, running to us. Tessie runs to her too. Tessie's mom picks her up and hugs her tightly, sobbing a little. My earlier bitterness towards her gets a bit less. She then approaches me. "Thank you.. thank you so much. I'm really grateful for what you did. Please let me repay you. Tell me whatever I can do for you."