Chapter Eight; Riley's Wild Side (Part One)

Hello, all! 

So, I just wanted to let you guys know, I'm sorry that this chapter is so short, but I cut it off half way through and started doing the next part in Abel's point of view! I didn't want to make this chapter switch POVs in the middle of it, so I made it into two chapters! Sorry for making it kind of short but I feel like its kind of okay since I'm uploading the second part (Abel's point of view) at the same time as this one. Anyway, here you go! :)

~*~

I stumbled through the front door, gently placing my backpack beside the door. I yawned, dragging a hand through my hair. I felt tired, drained, but overall satisfied. I wanted nothing more than to stay the night at Abel's, but I knew that if I stayed there, there was nothing that would get me up for school in the morning. Maybe we could hang out again on-

"Riley, where the hell have you been?" My mother's voice snapped and I nearly jumped out of my skin. I squeaked and jumped back as she flipped the light on and stood, arms crossed over her pink tee shirt. Her hair was thrown up into a messy bun and she wore her pajamas, a pink shirt and teal fuzzy pants. Her glasses were hiding her piercing, angry eyes. "Your school called. They told me that you weren't in any of your last classes. I'm going to ask you one more time. Where have you been?"

"I had to talk with coach about something and I guess it took longer than I realized," I lied, looking to the floor. "After school, I was at prac-,"

"Your coach called me too, Riley. He said you skipped practice. He called because he was worried that his star player was sick, seeing as you've never missed a practice before. So think about your next answer very carefully."

I swallowed dryly and hooked a hand on the back of my neck. "I was with Carson."

My mother pursed her lips and wagged a finger at me.

"See, that's what I figured. So, naturally, I called Carson too," She drawled, walking closer to me, shaking her head as she came. I felt my stomach flip and my blood run cold. "He told me, and I quote, 'Why don't you ask his new best friend?'"

All of the color drained from my face as she looked up at me with an unreadable expression. She sucked in a breath, shaking her head. She spoke calmly, but I could tell she was fighting back anger, "Riley, I need you to be honest with me now. Were you with Abel?"

I swallowed dryly and straightened up slightly, instantly getting defensive. "And if I was?"

"Excuse me? Clearly he's a bad influence! You know that I hate to judge people like this but, my God, Riley, look at what he's already got you doing! Suddenly skipping classes or skipping practices-,"

"We're moving anyway, it's not like any of it matters," I muttered, starting to walk past her and towards the stairs, when she grabbed my arm and with surprising strength, dragged me back. Her eyes glowed with anger.

"That's what this is about? The move? That's why you're acting out?" She hissed balling her hands into fists. "Riley, what the hell is the matter with you? This is so unlike you!"

She huffed and gripped her head, looking so angry that it seemed like the vein currently pounding in her forehead might just pop out. She sucked in a deep breath and held up a hand, her voice shaking with rage.

"You listen to me and you listen to me good, Riley. This move is happening whether you like it or not. You might think that you're grown, but as long as you're under 18 and living under my roof, you're going to follow my rules. You're still just a high schooler. You don't know what you want. You might think that all of this stuff that you're doing is "cool", like skipping class with Abel and ditching your practices, but believe me, honey, you're only making things harder on yourself."