Chapter Eighteen; Becoming More

~Riley*~

I pulled into Abel's driveway once more, gritting my teeth and resisting the urge to chuck my phone out the window as I was once again sent straight to voicemail.

Geez, I drive him home just about every day after school lately, suddenly he and Kala disappear, leaving me to wait for an hour and a half in my damn truck, and I can't even get a lousy call back? Does he not understand how nerve-wracking that is? How worried it made me? He usually lets me know if he's going to go home with Kala instead. Especially after the stunt that Carson just pulled, he can't just disappear like that.

As expected, there were no cars in the driveway, but I could see the TV on through the window. The second that I put my car in park and ripped the keys from the ignition, I flung my door open and practically sprinted to the front door. I was greeted by the faint hum of rock music that turned into more of a roar the closer I got. I swallowed roughly but ignored the butterflies in my stomach as I raised my hand, knocking on the door. "Abel? It's me, Riley, open up!"

I chewed at my lip nervously, my stomach doing cartwheels as I heard something shuffling around inside, and suddenly, the TV switched off. I quirked a brow but continued to wait patiently for him to come to the door. I hesitated but knocked on the door again. This time, he switched off the living room light, still leaving the rock music on full blast. Unable to help it, I suddenly felt all of my irritation from earlier flooding back and I grit my teeth.

"Abel, come on, I know you're home," I called anxiously, banging on the door a few more times, practically bouncing up and down on my toes. Is Elias not here? I waited a few more moments before pounding on the door again, hearing the music crank up even louder. I groaned in annoyance. "Geez, I know it's you, Abel. Elias would have let me in by now and your mom's car isn't here. I can hear your weird, rock, metal music. Come on, let me in!"

My heart nearly leapt out of my chest when I heard the music go down a few notches and footsteps starting towards me. I was practically jumping for joy when I heard the bolt lock turn and the door started to creak open, revealing Abel inside. Unable to hold myself back, I instantly sprang forward, throwing my arms around his shoulders and pulling him to me.

"Where the hell have you been? Geez, you don't answer my calls, my texts, Kala wouldn't either, a-and you just disappeared! I was seriously worried!" I breathed, nuzzling into the crook of his neck, honestly surprised that I hadn't tackled him to the ground. He stiffened in my arms but eventually placed a hand on the small of my back. His voice was quiet and raspy when he spoke.

"Hey, Riles."

I pulled back, cupping his face in my hands and examining him. No new signs of damage. He doesn't look hurt. Well, anymore hurt than he did yesterday. He had already changed out of the clothes that he wore to school and instead wore a pair of plaid pajama pants and a bright red tee shirt. I furrowed my brows. "What happened? Are you okay? W-Why did-?"

"I'm fine, Riles," He muttered, reaching up and covering my hand with his. His black nail polish was badly chipped and his nails were rough and jagged. "What're you doing here? We didn't have plans today."

"N-No, we didn't, I was just kinda worried about you," I began softly; suddenly feeling slightly embarrassed at the fact that I just impulsively came over. Usually, he's excited to see me, but today... Today he seems off. I gently swiped my thumb over his cheek and he automatically leaned into my hand, closing his eyes. I shuffled my feet slightly, my eyes searching his face. "Can I come in?"

His dark eyes fluttered open and he glanced at me briefly before quickly looking away, giving my hands a squeeze. He started to pull my hands away from his face. "I don't know if today is the best day for this, Riley, I-,"