Chapter Twenty; You're Crazy

I wish that I could describe the feeling that I had while driving like a madman to Abel's house. Well, actually, it's more like feelings that I had. Abel always made me feel like I was feeling every emotion all at once, especially right now. Driving this familiar road to him, knowing that I was only minutes away from seeing him again, I felt so anxious, yet also excited. I was still angry and upset at him for breaking my heart, but at the same time... I also couldn't wait to see his face.

I also kind of felt like I was going to throw up.

All of these feelings were just swirling around inside of me and a thousand thoughts were running through my head. I thought for sure that when I pulled into his house, my heart was going to beat right out of my chest. I was honestly surprised at how quickly I sprinted to the door after parking my truck, considering the fact that my feet felt so heavy it was like they were encased in concrete. With my blood pounding in my ears, my chest feeling heavy, and my breathing starting to get ragged, I raised my fist. Before I had any chance to talk myself out of it, I pounded on the door.

"Abel!" I yelled, my voice cracking slightly. "Abel, open up!"

I instantly heard movement inside but received no answer. Sucking in a deep breath, I pounded on the door again, harder this time. "Abel! Open the damn door!"

"Oh, wow, you said a swear word. Now I'll open it for sure," Abel's snarky voice answered back and my stomach did cartwheels. I grit my teeth, banging on the door once more.

"Open the door now, Abel. We need to talk," I called, continuously hammering at the door. "I'll cause a scene, I swear. I'll get the whole neighborhood out here!"

I heard him snicker.

"The fact that you think I give a shit about what anyone in this neighborhood thinks really just proves that you don't know me at all. Go away, Riley."

I pinched the bridge of my nose. I swear, the sound of his voice made my heart just melt. But that attitude of his makes me want to hit him. "Please, Abel. Please, just open the door. I just need a few minutes, okay? Please."

He was quiet for a moment and then I heard some shuffling from inside. When he spoke again, his voice was much closer, yet much quieter as well. "Don't do this, Riley. Please. I don't want to talk anymore."

My chest tightened. I curled my fingers against the door, ceasing my knocking. I leaned against it. "I just need a few minutes. That's all that I'm asking. Please."

I waited for another sassy remark but it never came. In fact, he didn't say anything at all. I swallowed anxiously but decided to try again. "Abel?"

This time, after a few more seconds of silence, I heard a string of curse words and movement from inside the house. As the footsteps got closer, my stress level seemed to get higher. My mouth suddenly felt so dry and I quickly tried to straighten out my shirt, rake my fingers through my hair, and just try to make myself look a little better. Finally, the door swung open and my heart leapt straight into my throat.

There he was, dragging a hand through his hair with a scowl on his lips.

"Jesus Christ, Riley, didn't I tell you to leave me the hell alone?" He practically spat, those dark orbs of his flickering irritably. His dark hair stuck up at odd angles, bobby pins pinning it away from his face. His eyes were bloodshot, like he hadn't slept, and instead of his healthy, porcelain skin, he simply looked a ghostly white. The gashes and bruises on his face appeared to be healing nicely, not looking nearly as angry as they did the last time we spoke. His white shirt and black sweats were rumpled and wrinkled, like he had just rolled out of bed. He sucked in a breath, leaning against the door. "Don't you have a party to be at or something-,"