Chapter Fifteen; After the Fight (Part Two)

~Riley*~

I pulled my truck into Abel's driveway and just about ripped the keys from the ignition. I couldn't get out fast enough.

Naturally, all of the lights were off inside of the house so it was safe to assume that everyone was asleep. Luckily, it was one of those cloudless nights, where the moon was so bright you could see just about everything and I didn't have to fumble around in the dark to get to Abel. Crickets chirped loudly all around me and the wind blew gently at my side. I swallowed roughly.

My knuckles ached and pulsed from punching Carson, but I couldn't bring myself to care. I really don't care at all, actually. The only thing that I care about right now is getting to Abel.

I started to jog towards the window of Abel's room, when suddenly; the front door began to creek open. I stopped dead in my tracks and spun around to look at it, fully prepared to be screamed at and chased off by Abel's mother, but was instead greeted by a mop of blonde curls.

Elias stood close to the door, looking at me curiously with one hand on the door. He wore blue pajama pants and a black, long sleeve Transformer shirt. I breathed out a sigh of relief and made my way towards him, trying my best to give him a smile. "Elias, what're you doing still awake? It's past your bedtime."

"Your lights shine right into my room. If anybody is here, I know about it," He started softly, finally dragging his eyes up to meet mine. He gave a small shrug. "And I know your truck."

I mustered up all that I could to hold my smile. It took everything in me not to shove past him and sprint to Abel's room. Just knowing that he was near me was enough to make me jump out of my skin. I was torn from my thoughts when Elias spoke again, almost like a whisper this time.

"Riley... Did you do that to Abel?"

My head snapped down to him. He no longer looked up at me and instead looked down at the ground, his little hands playing with the bottom of his shirt. My heart ached in my chest and I shook my head quickly. "No, of course not. I would never hurt him."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm positive."

He paused, eying me carefully. When he deemed me not a threat and decided I was telling the truth, he pursed his lips.

"Okay," He murmured, giving a small nod. He glanced up at me under the mop of curls. "I'd be sad if you did. I like you. And Abel likes you too. I can tell."

And with that, I felt a real smile slowly tug at the sides of my lips.

"Is he here?" I whispered, peering behind Elias. "Can I see him?"

Elias hesitated. He stole a glance behind him, and then looked back to me, before nodding and stepping aside to let me in. I smiled at him graciously and made my way past him, restraining from sprinting to Abel's room. I didn't even bother to look back at the door when I heard Elias shut it as quietly as he could and quickly made my way to Abel's room. Instantly, I pushed open the door, my heart pounding and my blood roaring in my ears.

The room was dark, illuminated only by the bright light of the moon flooding in from the window. Once my eyes adjusted, I could finally make out a mound of blankets on the bed. As quietly as I could, I closed the door behind me and made my way to the bed. With no hesitation, I reached forward and grabbed hold of Abel's shoulder, shaking him gently. "Abel... Abel, wake up."

I shook him a little more roughly until I heard him groan. My heart nearly leapt out of my chest as I continued to shake him, begging him softly to wake up. He swore irritably but finally reached over, swatting my hand, and rolled over, peering up at me, groggily. "Riley? What're you doing here?"