Chapter 17: the day

Thank you for all the reads :)

     "Good morning" Hotch greeted as his team entered the room. "Before we embark on our missions, sit."
The team did as they were told. Emily glanced at Hotch, she was very excited to hear what he had to say.
   He cleared his throat. "As you all know, the mission we are about to attempt is very dangerous." He paused, reading their facial expressions. They were all nodding, engaged, and a tad lost.
   "Well, I just want to thank you all for doing this." He finished. "and no matter what happens, remember that this team is always here for you."
   There was an awkward silence. It wasn't like Hotch to have an emotional conversation before a case. It had just occurred to the team how dangerous this was. Not only putting themselves out there by going undercover, but knowing the unsub would do anything in their power to trap them and catch them off guard.
   "We should probably get you guys wired." Garcia proposed, breaking the silence. JJ, Reid , Prentiss, and Hotch all put on their ear pieces and mics. 
   "You ready?" Reid whispered into JJs ear as she helped him put his mic on. JJ stopped. She pulled Reid into a tight hug and just stood there for a minute.
   "If something happens to me" she began to whisper in his ear. "I want you to save the baby, take care of them. Remind them that I will always love them, and you" she cried.
    "Hey hey hey" he said. "It's okay, nothing is gonna happen to you or the baby." He wasn't whispering anymore, but she didn't care if the team stared. They were scared too. Emily looked at Hotch, and he knew what she meant. He nodded. If something were to happen to her, he wouldn't know what to do. The baby is still too young to even have a heart beat, nevertheless a life outside of the womb.
    "Okay, can you hear each other?" Garcia asked , after she finished on Hotch.
   They nodded. It was currently 10:13 , it was almost time to go.
   "Okay, Reid and JJ, you two need to walk from here to here." Rossi said , pointing at two pins on the map. "You need to keep your senses up, but remember, you're just an average couple." He reminded them. "From here, you will take a cab that will be driven by Morgan, and you'll come back here to look over surveillance."
The young couple nodded and locked hands.
  "Emily and Hotch , you two will be on opposite ends of their path. Emily here," he said , pointing to a bench by where the cab would be. "and hotch here" he said , pointing to a bench near where they would start.
    "Okay" Emily said quietly.
  "Everything okay Em?" JJ questioned, noticing her friends tone.
   "Yeah, just nervous" she admitted.
   "This isn't the hard part" Derek said. "This is going to confirm the unsub, and see if there are more. It will also give us insight on how they work. How they stalk the victims , what they do to the husbands , how they know where to put the poison."
   Emily nodded, it did make her feel a little better that the hard part wouldn't happen for another day or so. She still didn't like the idea of being stalked by a serial killer for the next week though.
  "Hey , officer Murray will take your agents to their spots" the detective announced, as he walked in. "Don't worry, he knows not to interfere"
  This wasn't part of the original plan. Originally, Derek would both drop them off and pick them up. Apparently , they officers and detective wanted to assist , even if it was a little.
   "Thank you" hotch said. "We'll be ready in five"
The detective nodded before leaving the room.
  "Is he cleared?" Prentiss asked, almost immediately.
   "What's with you? You seek edgy" Morgan said. "and yeah, they all have."
   "Yeah Em,  I haven't been that edgy since I first found out I was pregnant" JJ laughed. The brunette agent remained silent.
   "Oh my peaches!" Garcia exclaimed. "Emily and boss man are expecting!"
   "shush, I don't want the detective to hear you" Emily said. "It's very new."
   The team offered their congratulations, and JJ tried to comfort her. She knew exactly how she was feeling right now.
   "It's gonna be okay" she assured her.
   "Thanks Jage" Emily smiled.
"Okay, time to go" Garcia said. "I love you guys, stay safe" she called out.
   "We love you too Garcia" Emily replied.
The four undercover agents left the field office, and headed towards their posts. The anxiety had been settled slightly once they realized they were just scanning the area, but no one liked the idea of bringing serial killers after them.
  They had three emergency words.
Pillow: poison has been deployed in a nearby location
Season: they are being followed by someone armed.
Leaf: One of the team members was having a medical emergency of some point. This one was developed after they found out they had two pregnant agents working the case.
  They would text a word to the group chat and Rossi and Garcia knew what to do from there.
"Okay , your posts are about a block to the right" the officer announced as he pulled the vehicle over. "Good luck" he said before driving off.
  They were officially being watched. Everything they did. Luckily they were dropped off behind an abandoned building and Garcia had cleared it the day before.
  "Okay" JJ stated. "You three stay safe" she said, pointing to Emily's belly.
   "Y'all too" Emily laughed.
Emily and Hotch walked separately to their designated benches , and Reid and JJ walked hand-in-hand down the road.
Almost immediately into the mission, Levi appeared in a window to a small cafe.
  Reid squeezes JJ's hand, making sure she saw him too. He was staring right at her stomach, which was becoming nauseous right about now.
   "We got him" Reid said quietly, hoping the mic would pick it up. "Only Levi, but he has a phone and I'm pretty sure he's communicating with someone about JJ"
Just then, at the worst possible time, JJ felt a new pain. She squeezed Reid's hand tightly.
   "What's wrong?" He asked , trying not to make it obvious to Levi.
   and then she fell, onto the ground.

The last word she said before she was knocked out , "leaf".

there are about to be two major plots at once !! One about the unsub(s) and one about JJ, Reid, and the baby.

Ig: @paging_.dr.reid