might

midoriya ran his hand through his tangled green hair and sighed to himself, drowsiness succumbing him. he had managed to convince todoroki he was in a great mood and eating tekiyami, so he silently thanked the bi-haired boy for being so... gullible-? midoriya wasn't sure which word to use.

midoriya stood and looked at himself in the mirror. he hadn't managed to remove all the char on his face because it tired him out way too much, so he decided he'd try again later. the bags under his eyes were a faded purple, his eyes a horrible murky green. midoriya hated his face so much. if he could he would pick a face that seemed much more mature, and not give him such chubby cheeks. plus his eyes were super unattractive and he knew nobody would ever be able to look into them the way he wished they would. anger, hatred and sadness welled up in his throat and choked him, forcing him to cry out his tears of loneliness and slump down to his knees again.

too weak to stand. too weak to be confident.

his crying continued for a few minutes until he eventually sprawled himself out onto the floor and wiped his eyes with his wrists, his fists balled gently. he stared at his fingernails for a few seconds and glanced at his rickety brown bedside table. there sat his prozac, his special antidepressants to boost his self-esteem. with a sigh, he hoisted himself to his knees and dropped his elbows onto the bedside table weakly. he popped open the small bottle and took out two small pills, and within seconds they were gone in his throat. he hated the taste, but he'd rather feel better about himself, even if it was a lie for a while.

it would take a while for them to kick in so he decided to talk to his mother. trudging downstairs, he immediately smelled the turkish delight scented candles and wrinkled his nose. he hated that smell, but his mother insisted it could help calm those in the house. matter-of-factly, midoriya probably needed it.

waltzing into the living room, he spotted his mother sitting on the sofa with a tissue in her hand. her face was red, as were her eyes, and her lips trembled like feathers in the wind stuck beneath a rock. hearing midoriya approach, she stuffed the tissue between the sofa cushions. she turned around and waved her hand at him happily and closed her eyes so he couldn't see the pain in her eyes, but it was too late anyway, he saw the pain. "hi baby!" she laughed, clearly fake. "feeling any better?"

"no, i only just took my meds."

inko sighed but smiled anyway. "they'll kick in in about half an hour. as for now, how's about a snuggle time with mom on the sofa while we watch tv?"

midoriya nodded, though he didn't really feel up to it. "okay, sure."

"we can rewatch all might's heroic savings," she insisted. "he's your inspiration, isn't he? he should get you back on track to your plans for heroics, right?"

midoriya felt as if he was being stabbed in the heart several times.

i'll never be a hero.

"never mind, mom," midoriya sighed. "i'll never be a hero, so it would be useless anyway."

inko's face turned grave and she stared at her son, stunned. he had never turned down a prerecorded video of all might, even if he was in his lowest of moods. should she be worried? "sweetie, that's not true."

"all might told me himself, remember?" midoriya snapped. "after i was almost asphyxiated by that villain... when he saved me... because i was useless..." tears threatened midoriya's eyes but he refused to cry. "then when i asked if i could be a hero without a quirk, but i should only have realistic dreams, so i went home and sulked... th-then, bakugou was captured by that villain, and he almost died... then all might saved him, as always. he's a great hero. i'll never be him though."

when midoriya saw inko's face he immediately regretted his words. tears swum in her eyes and her lips quivered even more. "baby... you still have a chance, no matter what all might said..."

sighing, he dragged himself back up to his room. he murmured, "sorry mom," on his way, but if she heard she probably ignored it.

♡☆♡☆♡

screams rung out through the city and villains emerged from the darkest depths of alleyways, but hero midoriya izuku had come to save the people of the city. he had beaten everybody with a quirk of immense might, sending every villain to the ground. there was one last villain to fight now, though he had no idea who they were.

a young lady with a suit of orange and purple and white-blonde hair looked up at midoriya. "where to now, midoriya-kun??"

midoriya pointed to a nearby alleyway and said firmly, "down there. this is the last alleyway we are yet to explore, mt. lady-san."

mt. lady nodded and followed him into the dark abyss. it felt like forever, but soon they managed to reach what looked like a faded streetlight with barely any light. beside the streetlight was a rusted metal bench which seemed all too familiar, though he didn't remember it being metal. then, out of the darkness, emerged a bi-haired boy with heterochromatic eyes. a crimson red blotch drowned out his baby blue eye and his hands were covered in ice.

midoriya stiffened, stunned. mt. lady stared at the villain and began to grow, but midoriya placed a hand in front of her as a signal to stop. "todoroki-kun," he hummed, "are... you the last villain?"

todoroki's deadpan expression never changed as he spoke; "yes, i am."

midoriya balled his fists and glared at todoroki in disbelief. "wh-what? i trusted you, todoroki-kun-!"

"you haven't known me long enough to trust me, midoriya-kun," todoroki muttered with a smirk and shot his hand forward. before midoriya could react, ice shot from todoroki's hand and—

midoriya shot awake. his breathing was fast and heavy, and he placed his hand to his chest as if he were going to choke on the nightmare. taking a minute to slow his breaths, he checked his phone. 1:42am. he sighed, already deciding what to do.

he was going to go to the bench in the streetlights.