snowflake

todoroki placed the cup of tea in front of midoriya and smiled. "the lady at the checkout is really nice, i think you'd like her."

midoriya wrapped his hands around the mug and smiled. "thank you, todoroki-kun. and, i have tried talking to her, i'm just... super awkward at striking up conversations with people i've never met."

"you seemed fine with me."

"yeah, well, i had one of those nights."

"those nights? what do you mean?"

midoriya shook his head and closed his eyes. "what i mean is, it was one of those nights that i really didn't care."

"oh... elaborate on that?"

"no, it doesn't matter."

todoroki raised his brow and looked down at midoriya's pink hands. "okay, well, let's talk about your issues."

the green boy stiffened and frowned. "oh, i assumed you had forgotten."

todoroki chuckled and sipped his tea. "not that easily. my head's a steel prison, green boy."

"green boy?" midoriya smirked. "gosh, now i have to think of a nickname for you." midoriya placed his finger to his chin for a moment and hummed excessively in thought. "icy hot."

"sounds gay."

"wh-what?!" midoriya squealed. "come on! i was proud of that one! also, just to clarify, i am not gay. i'm bi. get played." his playful smirk grew wider as he stared at todoroki.

todoroki chuckled and sipped his tea again. "can i think of a nickname for myself?"

"no way, that's not how it works, no no no!" midoriya tutted. "it doesn't mean as much if the other person doesn't think of it; it grows boring and dull, but with a friend it feels like there's some memory and real importance."

"okay, fair enough. you can think about my nickname while we're here. time we got back to your problems."

midoriya sighed and tapped his mug with his pinkie, but todoroki could see that some of his nervousness had fled, due to their playful conversation seconds ago. "okay, well... where shall i start?"

"wherever you want. take your time."

"um, okay... but you have to promise you won't judge me for any of this."

"of course i won't."

"pinkie promise?" midoriya's face was stern but playful, and he raised his pinkie in front of his face.

todoroki chuckled and pinkie swore with the green boy and they shook each other's fingers. "pinkie promise."

midoriya exhaled and stared up at the ceiling. "i have depression," he said bluntly, twiddling his thumbs. his voice was off and his tone was cracked. "i-i... so i'm not happy a lot of the time. obviously. that's what depression is. sorry."

"why the apology?"

"i just feel stupid," midoriya sighed. "i always feel stupid so i apologise for everything. i can't help it, it's a habit, but every time i apologise i do genuinely feel bad, but i also know that i probably shouldn't, but i can't help it. i'm always so apologetic."

todoroki sipped from his mug and placed it to the table again. "midoriya-kun, there's nothing wrong with being apologetic, and i'm glad you are, but you don't deserve to apologise for such small things. chances are the people you talk to won't mind. it's a little thing."

midoriya's eyelids drooped and his eyes grew dull. "yeah, well..." he caught himself off and shook his head. "anyway, so my depression is based off self-esteem issues, so i use prozac, an antidepressant. thing is they don't have too long of an effect on me because i've only started recently, so i'll see my therapist on sunday and chances are we'll buff up my dose."