Chapter 4: The Hacker

Jo tried her best to ignore the nasty comments that people whispered around her. She knew that the news would take some time to subdue. She had also become an expert at ignoring them, mainly out of her own self-preservation. On the other hand, Joel's demeanor was serious and rigid as he tried his best to sweep out the rumors that had begun to circulate. It wasn't long before the truth finally came out. She guessed that it was most likely Joel who had let it all out, probably to make it easier on her and to protect her from those with ill intention. It was not long before the topic of conversation changed completely, and everyone went back to ignoring her again.

Her mother had spoken to the mayor and they had come to an agreement. After all, his own stepson had been the one who planned it all. Jo would not get in trouble and the situation would settle itself quietly, so that the promising stepson would not become implicated in the matter. He would apologize to Jo and the whole situation would be forgotten. It disgusted her mother, but there was little that could be done about the matter.

Days had gone by in a blur. Jo went on with her life and there was nothing else to say between the family members. Jo had wanted it that way. The past could not be changed and she no longer wanted to speak about the hurt she had endured. It was a Friday afternoon, Jo was gathering her things from her locker getting ready to go home. A tall figure stood beside her locker.

Pierce crossed his arms and leaned on the locker next to hers, waiting patiently for her to close her locker.

"What do you want?" She asked, breaking his cool façade.

Trying to seem unfaced, Pierce cleared his throat and stood up straight. There was a small smirk on his lip that never seemed to disappear.

Jo closed the locker, the bang was loud, and it startled him a bit.

"I suppose there is nothing, I'm going now." She said before getting ready to turn around.

Pierce smiled. "Wait a minute. I have a certain favor to ask. You know, for letting the whole thing settle."

Jo looked at him with confusion. Her hands were balled into fists trying to compose herself though her eyes showed how annoyed she really was. She had no idea what he was even speaking about and had no patience to learn what it could be.

"I want you to do something for me. I want you to help me get into the school's attendance records and mess a little with the files."

"Mess a little, what do you even mean? Besides, you're a pro at that stuff, shouldn't you be the one who does it?" Her patience was running. She tapped her foot on the floor and bit at her bottom lip anxiously trying to restrain her anger and annoyance.

Pierce looked away, the small usual smirk appeared once again.

"Here." He said, pulling out a manila folder out of his jacket.

"I need you to head to the library before you head out. You have exactly fifteen minutes, send me a text when you're done."

Pierce turned and left, not bothering to check if she was going to go on with his plan. Jo sighed, she didn't want to do it, but before she could even think her phone vibrated. She knew it was him, threatening her once again. She did not even bother to check her phone and walked to the library. She was tired of him, his stupid little games annoyed her, but for what it was worth, it did not matter. He was in control and there was little that she could do about it.

She walked home feeling deflated and annoyed. It was not fair, she thought. The pavement was wet from the light drizzle that had swept the city that morning. It was cold, but she could not feel it. Her thoughts were on Pierce Carson and her future. There was nothing to do about it. She knew he had done it on purpose. Otherwise, things would not have gone that way. He would've made it less obvious, but there was nothing to do. She could not get in his head no matter how hard she tried.