Chapter 15: Maybe Love

A few minutes later, Joel came back, and the three teens headed back home. Pierce and Jo didn't speak throughout most of the ride, which forced Joel to take on the responsibility of making small talk. This, of course, didn't really bother Joel, who used the time to talk about the two cheerleaders who he had managed to sway with his words.

When they got home, Pierce went back to his room. He had done his best to conceal his feelings from Jo, who seemed completely oblivious to his feelings. However, it still all upset him. He was a walking contradiction.

It had taken him a long time to be able to accept his own feelings for Jo, but he couldn't hold them in place any longer. His heart was rebellious. It wanted more than what Pierce could give it. It wanted to hold Jo and kiss her rosy shy cheeks. Something that Pierce knew he could never get to do.

"I should just forget," he mumbled to himself as he stood up to brush his teeth and get ready for bed.

Meanwhile, Jo sat in her bed. She hated how confused she was. Grayson had texted her goodnight, something he usually did. A few days had gone by, but his words had stuck inside her chest. She had grown illusioned by his sudden interest in her, but she was sure that her feelings for him had ceased. She only saw him as a friend, someone she cared about.

Then there was Pierce. Something about him had been bothering her for some time. Their relationship had progressed so much, but she knew that his coldness towards others still annoyed her. The worst part was that he seemed oblivious to that side of himself.

With a sigh, she stood up and walked out of her room. She knocked on Pierce's door, and after a few minutes he finally opened up the door.

"Ehm...Is there something that you need?" He asked her. Jo nodded, she motioned if she could go in, and he nodded still confused.

She had been feeling uneasy about the conversation, but she also knew that she wouldn't be able to clear up the awkwardness that had settled between them if she didn't bring it up. "Pierce," she began. Pierce asked her to sit, and she did on his desk chair.

"What is it?" He asked.

Her words were not something he had been expecting to hear. In fact, before Jo, there were few people who ever brought up his behavior towards others except for his father. "I'm not saying this because I want to be self-righteous, but I do think that sometimes you can be more humble and kinder to people."

Pierce nodded. He hated getting lectured, but something in her voice made it sound like she really cared. "In the past, you were pretty mean, but I know that you've been doing your best to be nicer to people...I don't really know what type of relationship you had with that guy in the restaurant, but if you can, you should apologize."

Her words were full of good intention, and Pierce knew that. He nodded and thanked her. There was something about the Peters that he had never noticed before in his own family. It was concern.

In the past, his father had always acted self-righteous as he pointed out his mistakes. It was never to help Pierce become a better person as much as it was to shame him for his behavior. The Peters showed actual concern for him.

"I think you should talk to your father," Ms. Peters said, the next day. His mind had been on the conversation he had with Jo the night before. He had actually been able to have a friend find that waiter's number, and he had apologized. "Even if he doesn't accept, you know that you tried." Jo said before she left his room.

Pierce sighed.

"I'm not sure he wants to see me," He confessed.

Ms. Peters looked at him and shook her head. "I think you should though, a parent can sometimes be harsh, but deep inside we love our children. You and your father also have many misunderstandings you need to fix."