Chapter 6: The Secret

Jo woke up the next morning and walked straight into the bathroom to get ready for the day. She had been keeping up with her school work and it made her feel productive. She had also been working on college applications and chores. However, it was not long before her mind crept into the Pierce Carson issue. She had been trying to avoid it with all her might—to not think about him too much. It was not good for her psyche. There was no reason for her to try to understand him. He was not going to magically change and become a better person if she thought about it.

She was downstairs, trying to make herself some food, when there was a loud knock. The tech store had fixed the problem and had called saying they would be sending the laptop to her with one of their workers. The policy of that store were so strange, she thought after she received the call. However, she wasn't really looking forward to going anywhere.

She made her way to the front door and opened it. "Hello there." He said, not bothering to even ask for permission as he walked in.

"What are you doing, just give me my laptop and leave."

Pierce did not listen as he walked in to the house and placed the laptop in one of the hall tables.

"I need you to help me once again, you know, just like last time." He finally said turning towards her.

He was wearing his glasses once again. Jo looked at the piercing on his lip. She wondered what had driven him to make such drastic changes in terms of his attire and even physical look.

"Are you done ogling me?" He said looking directly into her eyes. There was no shame in his voice and instead it almost seemed as if he could really care less if she looked or didn't, but it still made Jo blush. She looked away embarrassed.

"Why am I supposed to help you?" She finally said her eyes were fixed on the rug near the kitchen.

"Because it is for a good cause, just like last time." Jo looked back at him suspiciously. His eyes were the color of the sea--vibrant and blue--almost as if the sun was hiding in back of them. They were passive and almost naïve looking. It made her feel like there was perhaps some truth in his words.

"Alright, then tell me what it is?"

"I cannot."

"Then, I do not want to help you."

"You really have no say. I mean, your brother isn't the most innocent individual in this world, I'm sure—"

Jo smiled at him, her eyes were full of contempt. He would never stop, there was no naivety—it was not real, she thought. Pierce Carson could never be good.

"This will be the last time I do this, I never want to hear anything else coming from your mouth ever again. After this, pretend as if I am dead." She said, trying to stop the tears from falling down her eyes.

Pierce noticed the pain but did not bother to take it to heart. However, he could not look at her face. He looked away trying to hide the strange feeling he was getting.

"Text me whatever you want me to do and leave."

She did not bother to walk him to the door as she walked back to the kitchen. She heard him open the door and then close it, but she did not bother to see if he was gone. Pierce Carson, she thought, there was no way he could have an ounce of kindness in him.

After a few hours, Pierce sent her everything she was supposed to do. The instructions were clear, they were going to set up the Math club. She looked at the attachment he had sent, it was a picture of Tricia and Kye kissing. The other document contained some strange files regarding Louis and Aras. However, the files did not really make sense. They almost seemed to be encrypted.