Chapter 1: The Moody Pizza Boy

(New Version) Chapter 1

Josette Peters looked awkwardly at her phone, both her mother and her twin brother were probably still sitting in the living room waiting for her. She sighed deeply and dialed the Pizza Parlor's number.

"This is AB Pizzeria, how can I help you?" The male's voice sounded forced and almost annoyed. Jo flinched trying to calm her growing nerves.

She breathed in, trying to mutter the words but it was hard.

"Hello?" The male's voice said, sounding even more irritated.

"Look, if you're just pranking me, you better hang up right now. Stop wasting people's time!!" He shouted.

"Hey, I'm sorry okay. You don't have to speak to me like that!" She managed to say. It surprised her and with a long breath, she came back to her senses.

"I would like to order a large pepperoni pizza and mild buffalo wings."

"Sure. Is that all?"

Jo thought about it.

"Is that all?!!" The male shouted, making her flinch again.

"Yes, yes, that is all." She managed to say, trying not to scream at him.

"Alright, it will be ready in twenty minutes."

Jo sighed, trying not to think about the rude male voice on the other end of that phone call. With shaky hands, she walked downstairs and to where her sibling and mother were sitting.

"Did you order the pizza, darling?" Her mother asked, looking at her with that loving look of hers. Jo nodded, sitting beside her brother Joel.

"Okay, then I'll go and pick it up after I get back from the bank. Any of you kids want to come with me?"

Joel didn't even bother to look at his mother, his eyes still glued on the movie. Jo shook her head, she had enough human interaction for the day.

"Okay, then I'll get going now."

Joel laughed his eyes still glued to the screen, while Jo scrolled through her phone looking aimlessly at the screen. Her closest friend Amy had gone home for the school year and hadn't been able to keep in contact.

"Still waiting for Amy to text you? You should give up...when she's ready, she'll text you." Joel tried to reassure her. Jo nodded.

She couldn't help but remember her own father when she thought of Amy's situation.

"Yeah." She said, trying to reassure herself as well.

After eating, she went back upstairs. Amy's father's hospitalization had opened old wounds. It made her wonder when she'd be able to forgive herself. When would she be able to move on from the events of the past?

----

Jo walked into the school building, crowds of students were huddled together into small circles of friends, most probably talking about the events of the day before. She hadn't really bothered to make actual friends—it always felt difficult to keep up and she wasn't the type to keep in touch unless she had met the person since childhood; as was the case with Amy. She got to class just in time and sat down trying not to call much attention to herself.

While Jo kept a low profile, her twin brother was the total opposite. He was cool and easy-going. Joel enjoyed going out and making friends. Sometimes his sister envied his easy-going nature. She wanted to stay close, but it was hard for her to do so. On the other hand, sometimes she wished that he wasn't so popular and easy-going. Sometimes she wished that he could understand her a little more. But his status had some perks, and she couldn't complain about it. After all, being Joel's sister made her untouchable. She could not get bullied anymore—they couldn't mock her or hurt her. It gave her a sense of peace, she could be alone without being made fun of for it.