Chapter 12: The Housemate

After Pierce had left, Jo went upstairs to take her backpack to her room. She had begun to feel tired, so she took a nap for a while. While she slept, she quickly began to dream. She was sitting in a large meadow, the grass was green and there were tiny yellow sunflowers that stuck out of the ground.

"Aren't they pretty?" A familiar voice called from in back of her. The voice was familiar, she turned quickly and saw him. He was waiting his black working suit and there was a big smile in his lips. "The flowers, they are pretty right?"

Jo nodded. It had been a long time since she had last seen him in a dream. "Yes, they are..." Her father nodded and walked closer to her.

"You have grown a lot since the last time we met, how old are you now? Fifteen?"

Jo shook her head, it was hard to keep her happy tears inside. "I'm seventeen," she finally said. Her father nodded. He placed his palm on top of her head and didn't say anything else for a while. They watched the sun set in the horizon. The breeze hit her face softly and it brought with it the scent of wet earth. She didn't want to wake up and face the harsh reality. She wanted to stay and talk to him.

"How is school doing?" He asked. She told him everything, except about Pierce. She didn't want him to worry about her. "You sure are doing well now," he said, his gaze was focused on the horizon. Its tints of purples and yellows meshing together into a perfect afternoon.

"You haven't been painting in a while?" He said, finally looking at her. Jo shook her head, her eyes fell towards the grassy ground. There was a small flower in between her legs and she plucked it with her hand. What she wasn't expecting was the ground to shake afterwards.

"Jo!!" A heavy voice called. Her eyes opened in a scared daze. It was Joel.

"Wake up, mom is calling us..." he said, before he walked out of the room. Jo shook of the feeling of tiredness, grabbed the water bottle sitting in her night stand and took a big gulp before heading out. Joel was standing by her door. He looked at her weirdly before he took hold of her face and wiped away the tears that had fallen while she slept.

"You had a bad dream?" He asked in a low concerned whisper. Jo shook her head. It had been the opposite, but she didn't want to talk about it.

"I'm alright, I was just tired. I don't even remember what I dreamt about." She lied, before walking towards the stairs.

Their mother was waiting for them in the living room. A tall boy was giving them his back. Jo recognized the familiar shirt. It was Pierce. "What's he doing here?" Jo asked her mother. Pierce stood up and looked over at her. "Hello to you to!" He said, fainting courtesy.

Jo rolled her eyes. Her mother didn't like her attitude and scowled her before going on to the matter at hand. "Pierce will be staying here a few days, he's going to be a new housmate. I hope that you all can get along."

Joel looked at Pierce with disgust, "He cannot stay here," He said, looking over at his mother. Ms. Peters shook her head. "Joel, this is my house. I decide who can stay or cannot stay. Pierce is a good boy, he needs a place to stay. We cannot turn him away in his time of need."

Joel rolled his eyes. It was obvious that he didn't car about a word his mother was saying. However, it wasn't long before Pierce made it easier for him to do so. "I'm going to be paying rent."

Joel smirked. "We cannot get bought," Jo said, believing that she was speaking for Joel.

"How much?" Joel asked. Jo looked at her brother confused. She nudged him completely upset. Joel ignored her. His gaze was on Pierce who was smiling confidently.