8

Adora (a continuation of last chapter)

I walked out of the bathroom, brushing my hair away from my face. I froze as soon as I saw Derek sitting at the edge of the bed, his leg bouncing up and down violently.

His eyes darted over to me and I pursed my lips together, flexing my jaw muscle as he stood up.

"Are you okay?" He asked, "do you need medicine-"

"I'm good," I said, smiling, "just hurting a little, that's all."

He nodded. I could see the genuine concern in his eyes so I smiled, sitting down on his lap after he sat back down.

"I'm okay, I promise."

He just nodded, his head falling against my chest. "I just know it's my duty to keep you healthy and feeling okay all the time. You know I hate when you get sick."

I smiled and rubbed the back of his hair, nodding. "I know."

He pulled away from me and I stood up, grabbing his jawline to press a kiss to his cheek. I walked over to my dresser and pulled off the jewelry I'd left on.

"Hey, Santiago said if you need anything, you know where to find him."

I looked at him through the mirror. "Of course he did."

Derek sighed and leaned against the dresser. "What do you have against him, Adds?"

I shrugged, my eyebrows raised. "I have nothing against him."

"Yes you do," he said, "I could tell by the way you talked to him. By the way you looked at him."

I flexed my jaw muscle, shaking my head. "I don't know what you want me to tell you."

"Whatever you're not telling me," he said, "you babysat for him. You two must've had a really bad falling out or I'm missing something."

"You're missing nothing," I said, "I'm just not his biggest fan, that's that."

He shook his head, his jaw muscle flexing as he raked his hair back with his fingers. "You're not telling me something."

I sighed, turning around to face him as he walked away.

"Why him, Derek?"

He looked over at me from the bed, a confused look on his face. "What do you mean?"

"Why him?" I asked, "you had plenty of people that wanted to invest in you, but you chose him."

"Adora, he found interest in my company. He's a dad, and a great one, as it seems."

"You're right, he is a dad and he is a great one, but so is Mr. Maali."

"Yeah, such a good dad that you get in a physical fight with your son. Great dad."

"That's not the point, Derek," I said, "the point is, you had other opportunities."

"And I just so happened to take this one, shame on me," he said, furrowed brows.

"You know I don't like him," I spat, "and it might sound selfish, but I thought you'd have the decency to keep him away from me."

"It's not your business, Adora!" He yelled, "it's mine!"

"I'm engaged to you, Derek! That's how things work, it becomes more than just a one person business because your last name becomes mine."

"Well stay out of it then!" He yelled, "you're taking this too far. I thought you'd have the decency to be happy for me."

I scoffed and rolled my eyes. "I'm tired of arguing with you."

"Same here," he said, brushing past me and into the bathroom.

He slammed the door and I watched as he did so, a frown on my face. It wasn't a usual thing for Derek to get mad and yell and slam things.

I let out a heavy sigh and plopped down on the bed, pulling the covers back and over my body. I rolled over on my side, turning off my lamp.

Had I taken it too far? Probably.

Derek walked into the bedroom and fell into the bed, letting out an angry sigh. He rolled over closer to me and pulled my face up to his. "I love you, but I don't like you right now."

I moved my lips against his and pulled his neck down to mine. "Same here."

He cocked an eyebrow up at me and rolled over to his side.

He turned off the light, leaving me in the dark to think about one person, and that one person wasn't in my presence at the moment.

~*~

"Trouble in paradise?"

I avoided Brenna's question, cocking an eyebrow up as I stirred my creamer around in my coffee.

"So I'm taking that as a yes." She smiled and hugged her coffee closer to her, taking a sip of it.

"He's just being difficult."

She nodded. "Yeah, he's pretty excited about Santiago."

"I just really feel like Zayn's dad would've been a better option."

"That's not why you're mad," she said, rolling her eyes, "I know exactly why you're mad and you know why, too."

I shook my head.

"Derek's a smart guy, Adds," she said, "you've got to tell him before he finds out in the wrong way."

"Absolutely not," I said, shaking my head.

"Adds," she argued, cocking her head over.

"Brenna, he's already driving me crazy and I've been here for less than a month. I've seen him twice. For god's sake, I had to fake a stomachache at dinner just so I could get away from him."

"It's just a spell, Adds, I promise. It'll all go away."

I just sighed, furrowing my brows together. "But will it?"

"Listen," she said, "whether you and Derek like each other right now or not, I know you love each other. You know you love each other. It's just the initial reaction, Adora. Santiago will not bother you after a while."

"It's easier said than done, Bren, just keep that in mind."

She sighed, puckering her lips out. "Try having sex tonight. I bet that'll take your mind off of Santiago in a heartbeat."

"The last thing Derek wants from me right now is sex, Brenna." I rolled my eyes and took a sip of my coffee, looking outside.

"Adora, don't be ridiculous, love. All men want is sex, I think we've come to that conclusion."

"Not when they're pissed at you for lashing out on them for being successful."

She threw her hands up with a grin. "You said it, not me."

I smiled and rolled my eyes.

"Just try," she said, "the worst he can do is push you off and go out to a strip club."

"Shut up, Brenna," I said, throwing my head back with a laugh.

"What!" She exclaimed, "it's true. Though if he ever tries to go to a strip club while with you, I'll shoot his kneecaps out."

"I'll make sure to tell him that."

She shot me an accomplished smile, raising her eyebrows. "Thanks, love."

"How are you and Zayn? Still as cheesy as ever?"

"Ha ha, very funny," she said, "but yes."

I grinned at her reply.

"Weird thing is, he's so romantic. It's kind of weird. He literally just sent me a bouquet of flowers yesterday, expressing his love to me."

"Derek sent me a bouquet of flowers expressing his love to me, like, a month and a half ago."

She scoffed, scrunching her nose up. "How unoriginal of Zayn."

I smiled. "Zayn probably told Derek to do it, let's be real."

She nodded, jutting her bottom lip out. "This is true. I guess I'll let him off the hook this time."

I just smiled and took a sip of my coffee.

"So you and Derek have specific plans tonight. Put on a cute, sexy outfit and serenade him into the bedroom and boom! Babies made."

"Thank you for that amazing guidance, Brenna."

"Anytime, love, anytime."

~*~

I blew the bubbles away from my chest, sinking down further in my huge bathtub.

I closed my eyes and rested my arms on the sides, snapping my fingers to the beat of the music I had playing.

I'd been thinking about what Brenna said, and I realized she was right. Maybe I needed to be the bigger person and get creative to find a way to make it up to Derek.

I closed my eyes, relaxing in the scolding hot water I'd run. I tapped my fingers against the sides of the tub, pursing my lips together as I danced in the slightest bit.

I heard the door open and I jolted up, looking over my shoulder at Derek.
He stopped in his tracks, cocking an eyebrow up at me.

I just raised my eyebrows at him, trailing my eyes down him slowly. He sighed and walked to his side of the double vanity, leaning against it.

"Hi," he greeted, folding his arms over his chest.

I just shot him a smile, still playing with the bubbles in the tub.

He furrowed his brows. "How's your day been?"

"Pretty peaceful. Yours?"

He nodded. "I've been with your favorite person."

I just raised my eyebrows, leaning my head back against the back of the tub again. "How fun."

"He was still asking me if you were okay. Such a nice guy."

I rolled my eyes.

He sighed and walked over to the tub, making me look up at him.

"Let's talk."

He sat down on the marble floor, resting his chin on the side of the bathtub.

"Let's talk," I said, leaning up. I hugged my knees to my chest, pursing my lips together.

"I promise, I will keep you two away from eachother." He grabbed my hand and pressed a kiss to the back of it.

I just pursed my lips together and raised my brows.

"I'd be stupid not to. You're so stunning and perfect, he'd probably fall in love with you, too."

I froze at his statement, a blank expression on my face.

I snapped out of it as soon as he looked at me, though. I smiled and nodded, pursing my lips together shortly after. "I believe you."

"Good. I promise to do whatever I have to to keep you happy."

I just smiled and he stood up, looking down at me.

I looked up at him and bit down on my bottom lip, cocking an eyebrow up at him.

"You should know better than to not do that by now," he muttered, leaning down to kiss me. I smiled as his lips moved against my own, biting down on his bottom lip.

I squealed when he stepped into the bathtub fully clothed, laughing as water spilled over the sides of the tub.

He smiled against my lips, making me pull off his shirt and throw it somewhere in the distance.

"Are we good?" He asked as I unbuckled his belt.

"Uh, yeah," I said, "we're good."

~*~

hiii guys! how has 2018 been so far for you?! I really wanted to get this chapter posted on New Years, but it didn't go as planned ;(

also, I'm sorry for no Papi this chapter! I promise, he's going to make an appearance next chapter. ;)

are we getting weary of Derek and adora together???

haha. I love u guys so much! Thanks for all the love and support you guys gave me in 2017. I hope that we can continue on with the constant positivity in 2018! I look forward to spending this year and many more with you guys. ❤️

okay. I hope everyone had a great New Years! make 2018 a banger.