20

Adora (continuation of last chapter)

My stomach hurt from laughing, my cheeks hurt from smiling.

Santiago King really was a joy to be around.

His laugh was still as contagious as it was five years ago, his smile still as broad.

"If you could go one place," he asked, his head leaned back against the cushion of my couch, "where would you go?"

I sighed, folding my arms over my chest. "Decide for me."

"Barbados," he answered quickly, shooting me a smile.

"Yeah?" I smiled and he nodded.

"Oh, absolutely," he said, "Barbados is stunning."

"Do you go there a lot?" I asked.

He nodded. "Yeah. I have my own little private beach there with a few houses."

"Oh my God, no way."

He smiled over at me. "Yes way."

"That's amazing," I said, "Barbados sounds beautiful."

"Yeah, it's absolutely stunning."

He sat up and braced his elbows on his thighs.

I gave his shoulder a good shove. "So what about you?" I asked, smiling as he looked over his shoulder at me. I leaned back against the couch cushions, throwing one leg over the other.

"What about me?" He asked.

"Do you have a significant other, if you will?" I asked, smiling at him teasingly.

He threw his head back with yet another contagious laugh. "Ha, that's funny."

I just smiled. "Why is that funny?"

He looked back at me and stood up. "Look at this. I'm forty. I think I'm out of my dating stage."

"I get it, you're old," I teased, standing up.

He chuckled and I just pushed past him and into the kitchen.

"But seriously," I said, "you're forty, not eighty."

"Some mornings when I wake up, it feels like I'm eighty. Can you believe that I had to make both of the boys walk on my back the other night?"

I laughed. "Why can I imagine that?"

He laughed and squeezed past me, his hand landing on my hip as he made his way past me. I felt the wind get knocked out of me at his touch, making my jaw muscle flex.

"Sorry," he said.

I shook my head, never making eye contact with him. "No, it's fine."

He took a sip of his coffee and looked at the foyer, his eyebrows going into a furrow. "You have a grand piano?"

I turned around to face him, folding my arms over my chest as I nodded. "Yeah. It's there for decoration, because not me or Derek can play."

He smiled. "Do you mind?"

I shook my head. "Absolutely not."

I followed him into the foyer and plopped down in my chair, watching as he gracefully sat down on the bench in front of the piano. He placed his hands on the keys and smiled. "It's been a while since I've played, so cut me some slack."

I smiled over at him. "I can't even play, so you've got all the slack."

He smiled and looked over at me. I felt my heart rate speed up by the look he gave me.

As soon as he started playing my lips parted. I blinked a few times to see if the image of Santiago King playing the piano for me was actually a thing, and it was.

"My dad taught me this piece," he said, his fingers still working beautifully on the piano keys.

"It's stunning," I whispered, shaking my head.

I couldn't help my eyes from boring into him with such admiration that it pained me to even admit it. I rested my arm on the back of the chair, my head in my hand and just watched him play for me.

He was so focused.

I felt my breath become short and my heart rate increase at the sight of him, so I quickly brushed that off.

You're engaged.

The sound of the piano stopped filling the room and he stood up. "Sadly I forgot the rest," he said.

I stood up, looking up at him. "I'm speechless."

He laughed and nodded. "Thank you, I guess?"

I laughed and nodded. "That was absolutely a compliment."

He smiled and looked down at his watch. "Sandra told me to be back to get the boys at around ten, since it's a school night. I think I'm a little late."

I giggled. "Yeah. You should probably get going."

I followed him to the coat rack and watched as he slipped into his jacket, a smile on his face.

"Do you want to take any of this food with you? It'll probably go to waste."

He sighed and looked over at the counter. "I'd definitely make a plate to take with me because your cooking is beyond phenomenal, but I'm already running way too late."

I smiled and nodded up at him. "Absolutely."

He smiled down at me.

"Thanks for coming," I said, "I had a really nice time."

"Same here," he said.

I couldn't help myself from reaching up and wrapping my arms around his neck. I hugged him as if I wouldn't ever see him again, patting his back. "Be careful."

I let go of him and he looked down at me, gulping as he flexed his jaw muscle. "Got it, boss."

I smiled and opened the door for him.

"I'll see you around?" He said, turning around to face me one last time before walking away from my house.

"Yeah," I said, smiling as he smiled and turned around, walking away from me.

I closed the door behind me and leaned against it, my breathing heavy and erratic as I looked down at my wedding ring.

I bit down on my bottom lip and gulped, regaining my composure.

I didn't feel anything for him.

Or at least I'd like to think that.

~*~

Adora

I looked up when the door opened, biting down on my bottom lip as Derek walked inside.

He shrugged out of his jacket and hung it on the coat rack, rubbing his hands through his hair as he walked in the kitchen.

"Hey," he glumly greeted, his eyes tired looking.

"Hi," I whispered.

He sighed and nodded, his eyebrows shooting up.

"Hey, you okay?" I asked, walking up to him.

He avoided eye contact with me, looking all around. "I'm okay."

"It's okay, Derek," I said, "don't put on an act. I know you're upset."

He nodded and I watched tears form in his eyes, so I sighed and wrapped an arm around his neck.

He slowly pulled away from me. "Why's there two wine glasses in the sink?"

I looked up at him and bit down on my bottom lip. "Bren came over after they got Landon from the airport."

He nodded. "I'm glad you weren't here alone."

I just smiled. "Yeah."

"Hey, I'm just going to go take a shower and go on to bed," he said, "come up when you're ready."

I shot him a weak smile as he walked away from me, pursing my lips together as he walked upstairs.

I could tell he was beyond upset and there was nothing I could do about it.

I pulled my bottom lip in between my teeth and looked over at the wine glasses in the sink. I couldn't help the sigh that made its way out of me, the small smile appearing on my face.

I had no intentions of indulging in Santiago King again. It wasn't in my line of focus, not until he came around.

I'd forgotten how much of a pleasure he was to be around. Sure, he was a man. He didn't think with his brain. What man does?

Santiago still paid me the genuine looks he paid me five years ago, even when he thought I didn't see it.

All of these thoughts went coursing through my mind as I looked down at his wine glass.

I quickly placed it in the dishwasher along with the other dishes in the sink, closing it and leaning against it.

I folded my arms over my chest and leaned my head back, closing my eyes.

"I have a really, really deep regard for you."

I shot back up, my lips parted as my breathing became heavier.

I looked down at my phone that vibrated.

[From: Santiago King]
Thank you for dinner. It was a pleasure

I pursed my lips together and debated on texting him back. I eventually gave in, as per usual.

[To: Santiago King]
Absolutely. Thanks for showing up

I placed my phone in my back pocket, turning it off before turning off the kitchen light. I walked upstairs and into my bathroom, looking at myself in the mirror.

I looked happy. I looked like I'd been smiling, and not fake smiling, genuine smiling.

I bit down on my bottom lip and pulled my hair out of the ponytail I'd thrown it up in after Santiago left, watching as my curls fell past my shoulders and almost to my breasts.

I stripped out of my clothes and into my comfortable ones, brushing my teeth before turning off the bathroom light. I walked into our bedroom and leaned against the doorframe, smiling at the sight of Derek already fast asleep.

I sighed and walked over to the bed, pulling the covers back on my side. I slipped in the bed and turned over to face Derek, pressing a kiss to his forehead before turning off my lamp.

And the one vision that flashed through my mind was Santiago King, and I wasn't entirely sure why.

~*~

hiiii guys (:

how did we like Papi playing the piano for Addy bc I thought it was cute af

and also... what r y'all thinking about Derek? I know what I know ab him sooo 🤭

I really genuinely hope u guys enjoyed this chapter. I enjoyed writing about Adora and Santiago alone together for the FIRST TIME ahhhh.

btw- the one shot contest will end probably next week sometime so stay patient. I want to end it around the time wattpad fixes itself so just hang in there guys!!

go follow my twitter to be the first to see my updates & polls, and also to be the first to see the winners of the contest! @ subjayy_

ok. I love u guys!