Chapter 8 - Cold Hard Truth

Sapphron snapped back into reality with her body shaking violently. Her eyes were stained with tears and her heart was racing. She could not speak at all, in complete shock of what she had just seen. Loki could tell she had returned from the visions with nothing but trauma. A part of him felt sorry for her as he recognized her pain. "My life is a lie." Those were the first words she was able to utter out, hitting deep string within Loki's heart. "What did you see?" Loki questioned calmly, not wanting to startle the girl further. "Fire....everyone was burning....my mother... frost giants..." Sapphron trailed off, tears freely flowing from her crystal eyes. "You are not making any sense." Loki's impatience returned. Sapphron looked up at him with pain in her eyes. For a moment Loki felt fear of her in this hysterical state. He was unable to predict her future actions. "Let me show you." Before the prince was able to respond, Sapphron grabbed his wrist firmly, the first time the two had ever touched. Waves of electricity consumed the two before Sapphron flooded the memories of what she had seen into the mind of Loki.

Loki was both shocked and confused at what he had just seen. His mouth was open in awe and his eyes were widened. "That woman was my mother," Sapphron began. "And that man, that frost giant my father." Her voice shook as she mentioned the man she presumed to be her father. "My mother was already pregnant..." Sapphron said, almost to herself. She inhaled sharply, the memories haunting her.

Loki looked down to realize the two were still in embrace. He quickly shook her hand off of him. "All my people burned." Sapphron cried out in remorse. "How did he save her?" Sapphron questioned rhetorically. "He was a frost giant, his touch would put out the internal flame." Loki answered wisely. Sapphron, not expecting a reply, looked meaningfully into the prince's eyes. "Am I cursed?" She asked him wearily. Loki paused, recognizing the phrase from his own tongue. "I am not sure." He shook his head gently, his emerald eyes bearing into her ocean ones. Sapphron was still in shock, she was unable to speak further. She sat there, on the cold marble floor with her mind racing. Loki said nothing, sitting distantly from her.

After what seemed to be hours of silence, Loki spoke. "I read once that the children of the moon were slaughtered many years ago." Sapphron did not look away from the spot she was staring at on the ground as he spoke. Her mouth tightened at the new information. "Slaughtered by who?" She asked, still refusing to look up. "It never said. Just that the being was from Muspelheim." Loki answered, causing Sapphron to look up quickly with widen eyes. "Muspelheim!" She exclaimed in disbelief. "The realm of the fire demons!" She continued, as if a light bulb hovered over her head. Loki clicked his tongue, understanding the conclusion Sapphron had come to.

"But why..." She wondered, her eye brows once again furrowing. She looked to Loki as if he would have the answers she seeked. He looked away quickly, truly not knowing the motives of the fire demons. She bit her lip once more, tearing at it in frustration. "Why would they lie to me for so long?" Hurt was evident in her voice. Sapphron was so traumatized by the realizations that she did not try to his her vulnerability from the man who had tried to kill her hours ago. "Why would they lie to you?" She turned to Loki, connected with his trauma. Loki became extremely uncomfortable as his body noticeably hardened. The two sat on the marble floor consumed with hurt and betrayal. Sapphron took a deep breath in, scared of what would happen next. A part of her wished she would never see her parents again. She resented them deeply for lying to her for so long. For Sapphron the worst part was that they had given her enough information to keep her curiosity satisfied yet not nearly enough to be the entire truth. She cringed at the thought of confrontation with her parents. She was in pure disbelief that her so called father was a frost giant. She wondered as to why he so desperately wanted to be disguised as an Asgardian. This destructive thought led to the wonder of who her real father was. All the memories of her childhood flooded through her like poison, each stabbing her heart worse than the previous. Every happy memory she had was now tainted with the truth. She had come to the palace to help heal the fallen prince, but instead she had become exactly what he was. Lied to and betrayed. Sapphron let a single tear shed before quickly swiping away at it. Her sadness had already turned into anger. She began to become furious with the lie of a life she had been living. Loki noticed her boiling rage and became cautious of her actions. "Sapphron." He snapped her out of her soon to be blind rage. It was the first time Loki had used the silver locked girl's actual name. Sapphron notes this causing her to gently smile, a calm breath flowing through her. "Loki." She replied, longing deep into his eyes. She was able to perceive pain, harshness and something else. Something much warmer, more human like. Empathy. He was able to see him self with in the girl before him. Her pain reflected his own. A gentle tug at his nearly frozen heart. The two sat in silence, once again starring into each other's eyes.

Sapphron closed her eyes gently, feeling exhausted from the events that had occurred. She felt her body begin to sway as the tiredness was getting to her. Loki looked at her questionably, sure she would not fall asleep in the cell of a monster. Yet, to his surprise, Sapphron's swaying led to her fall into unconsciousness.

 Yet, to his surprise, Sapphron's swaying led to her fall into unconsciousness