Chapter 18 - Lunatic's Inquiry

Sapphron woke up just as the sun began to rise over the horizon

Sapphron woke up just as the sun began to rise over the horizon. She stretched out all her limbs with a groan. Next to her, was a peacefully sleeping Loki. She studied his calm face as he slept. The girl wondered if this is what he would look like if he had nothing to worry about, no pain to experience, no cares in the world. The lines of stress on his face softened, making him look much more innocent than his usual intimidating stance. Sapphron wanted to reach out and caress his face, but she also did not want to wake him. She smiled to herself as she watched the sleeping prince's chest raise and drop with each and every breath.

As if Loki could sense her wandering eyes, he stirred in his sleep before opening his eyes a crack to see her beautiful blue eyes staring back at him.

"Good morning." The girl happily cheered. Loki groaned, not quite finished with his sleep.

"You sure are energized for someone who was burning to death last night." The prince laughed as he stretched out his muscles.

"What do you mean?" The girl questioned, her eyebrows furrowing.

"You remember do you not?" The prince's emerald eyes widened at the possibility that she had no memory of the traumatic occurrences.

"I do not." Her reply was quiet. Sapphron thought hard trying to understand what exactly he was talking about.

"You do not remember burning up last night?" Loki's tone was harsh as he was concerned of her lack of memory.

"I remember dreaming I was burning. You know it was funny, in my dream or more so nightmare, I was burning like my mother and instead of my so called father saving me, it was you." Sapphron explained looking the frost giant prince straight in his eyes.

"My love, that was no dream but instead reality. You were burning last night, the curse. I had to transform into my true form in order to extinguish your flames." The God explained sounding quite empathetic.

Sapphron looked even more confused now than she did before.

"It was real?"
The silver haired girl questioned, her voice cracking slightly in the middle.

"Indeed it was."
Loki replied, his lips tightening into a firm line.

"You saved me?"
Sapphron asked to clarify.

"Indeed I did."
Loki laughed, remembering the thanks she had given him the night before.

"You really thought that was all a dream?"
The prince questioned her as a small laugh broke from his pressed lips.

"Indeed I did."
She mocked with a playful tone.

Sapphron bit her lip gently hesitating a short while before she spoke.

"Does that mean I am a princess?"
She laughed, knowing the question would shock the mischievous prince. Loki could not help his astonished gasp. The prince then, regaining control of the situation, smirked seductively.

"Soon to be."

Sapphron immediately blushed, realizing she could not out wit the aged God of Mischief. The newly shy girl bit her lip, looking off into the distance.

Suddenly, Sapphron got up, gliding her feet against the cold marble, on route to the lavatories.  She disappeared into the greying stone wall as Loki's eyes traced after her.  Sapphron turned on the golden tap and splashed her silky face with cold, refreshing water.  The fragile minded girl looked up into her reflection. She hardly recognized the weary woman looking back at her. There were purplish circles under her eyes making her white skin glisten like snow.  In her eyes flashed crimson flames. The sight, frightened the girl, causing her to subconsciously step back and gasp.

"Sapphron?" The trickster called from out side the room. "Are you alright?" He asked, raising his voice in slight worry.

"Yes I am quite alright just give me a minute please." The now frightened girl called back as she once more splashed the refreshing cool water upon her face.  She peered into her reflection for a moment longer before regaining her composure and entering the room. "I was just... freshening up." The girl poorly lied. Anyone would be able to see through her lies especially the God of such subject.  "Indeed you were." The prince laughed to himself, Sapphron unable to hear. 

The girl quickly hurried into the closet, changing her sleeping gown for a much more elegant, sapphire one. The small framed girl reemerged from the closet looking absolutely breathtaking according to Loki.

"Well?" Sapphron glared at the prince's devilish smirk as he scanned her up and down.

"My, my, you look ravishing."
He purred, appearing closer to the girl than expected. "Shall we?" Sapphron questioned, extending her arm out to her God. Loki accepted the offer with a smirk, letting the small girl lead him out of his comfortable room and down the palace hall. 

"Where to, my lady?" Loki politely questioned, witnessing his politeness' affect on her. She blushed a soft rose, which was clear through her snow like skin. "Well, I was thinking, perhaps we take a special trip to my home? I wish to see what is there, at least what is left of it." Sapphron admitted, her tone sounding almost questioning. "To your home?" The trickster questioned, scrunching his godly face.
"Yes my prince, I wish to go to my home."

Loki looked to Sapphron with saddened eyes. He was able to read through her defence. Loki saw the pain burning from the lie her parents had forced upon her. He empathized with his own experience of being forced a lie by one's parents. "Sapphron are you sure?" Loki's tone was much more serious, his expression showing his true  authority. "Yes Loki I am sure." Sapphron mimicked his use of her name to match his strength. The God smirked, impressed. Her strength intrigued the prince, he was drawn to it in ways no one could explain.  Sapphron was powerful yet fragile. She could out magic him, yet depended greatly on him for survival. Sapphron's abilities made her equal in Loki's mind and her vulnerability made her his weak spot.

"I suppose then, we are headed to your home."