Chapter 21 - Loss

Loki's heart sank at the scream of the one he loved. Without hesitation, the two princes ran towards the sound of the terrified scream. The two reached the stables, looking around frantically. Sapphron's horse was jumping up and down in distress. The heartbroken prince whipped his head around, looking for his lover. Through the willow trees, he thought he had caught a glimpse of her Snow White hair. Immediately the prince sprinted after her as fast as he could. When he pushed through the large forest of trees, he was able to see her.

Sapphron was being held firmly by two large frost giant men. One had their hand over her mouth to quiet her cries. Sapphron was struggling relentlessly against their strong grip but it was no use. Around them were two more frost giants, guarding the girl.

When Loki saw his beloved girlfriend in the arms of those monstrous frost giants, he froze for a moment of shock.
"Stop!" He cried, snapping himself out of his brief pause. The prince began to take steps towards the girl, careful not to agitate the fellow species. "Rumour has it, the prince of Asgard no longer has his magic." One of the towering frost giants spat with a malicious laugh. The God of Mischief gritted his teeth together in frustration. Loki was forced to bite his tongue, to increase his chances of getting Sapphron back safely. "Perhaps we can come to an agreement." Loki purposed, clasping his hands together formally. He was great at illusions but even the frost giants could see his true worry.

The frost giant who had spoke earlier laughed once more.
"You can attempt to make your agreement with Laufey. As for us,"
He turned to look at the rest of his squad.
"We have orders."
"Laufey?" Loki questioned sounding utterly shocked. "Laufey is dead. I killed him myself!" The prince protested.
"Long live the king." The frost giant evilly laughed. The jotuns grasped hands with eachother, a yellow icy wind surrounding them. The frost giants who were forcefully holding Sapphron, disappeared into an icy abyss.

"Sapphron!" Loki cried out, his voice breaking as she vanished. The prince's heart sank, adrenaline pouring into his system. The God fell to his knees in pure anguish. Loki felt completely vulnerable and defeated. He felt tears in his eyes, but similarly to his mother, he never let one shed. On his knees, in the soft grass, he tearfully looked at his hands, shaking. The prince's angry eyes moved to the tiny metal chip which prohibited his useful magic. "I could have saved her." The prince whispered angrily to himself. His hands shook violently as he starred at them.

"Brother!" The God of Thunder yelled, charging at his younger brother. "What did you do?!" Thor screamed immediately blaming his brother. Thor's eyes were filled with rage as his barrelled towards Loki who had jumped up from his vulnerable kneeling stance.

"What just because frost giants attack it is immediately my fault!?" Loki snapped back with a viscous rage. "Because I am also one of those monsters?" The fallen prince's face was intense and filled with pure fury. "I had nothing to do with this!" Loki screamed out with pure toxicity.

Thor's eyes widened. He was cautious not to fall victim to Loki's lies, but he did not see flaws in Loki's reactions. "This was not you brother?" Thor questioned, more softly this time.
"Why would I let them take her?" Loki's voice was just short of a cry. Worry lined his face in a way that could not be replicated in an illusion. Thor knew in this moment, Loki truly did have nothing to do with the Frost Giants' treason.

"I could have saved her too if Odin did not take away my magic!" The prince cried out, this time sounding much angrier. "We must speak with our father." Thor said, sounding slightly calm. "Your father." The disgruntled prince spat. "What would dear Odin do about it anyway. He will just blame me." Loki hissed, being bitter about his adopted father's previous actions. "He will return your magic. If it was not you then he must believe it to be true. I will vouch for you worry not brother."
Thor replied, patting his brother on the back.

The two prince stayed silent as they returned to the carriage. Loki past the bodies of the Asgardian guards, each with an bloody icicle through their chest as well as the body of frost giants, who looked as if they had been fried to death. It was clear Thor was occupied with a battle whilst Loki was attempting to negotiate with Sapphron's captors.

Thor and Loki boarded the carriage, having to steer it themselves as their companions were all dead or missing. Thor slapped the rails, causing the two stallions to speed off towards the castle.

"What happened brother?" Thor turned wearily to his brother as they approached the palace. Loki paused, biting onto his lip before answering. "Four of them, they had her. I tried to negotiate with them, not having my magic. He said I could negotiate with king Laufey." The traumatized prince's voice cracked as he admitted the truth. "Laufey? Laufey is dead. I saw you kill him with Odin's sceptre." Thor protested, his eyebrows furrowing together. "I did too." Loki concluded softly staring into the distance.

The two had arrived in the palace, heading straight for the throne room. "Wait brother, let me speak with father first." Thor cautioned, wanting the best to come for his brother. Thor feared that if Loki had gone in with him to tell the tale of Sapphron's kidnaping, Odin would immediately suspect Loki's involvement. Thor deep down in his heart knew that Loki was not responsible for this. The God of Thunder was secretly aware that Loki was beginning to fall in love with Sapphron, the same type of love he, himself had experienced with Jane Foster. Thor knew that when you love someone, you would never do anything to harm them.