Honest Liar

"How is this possible?" I ask under my breath.

On my essay was marked with a massive D- and the sprawled words of 'Disappointing. You didn't even answer the prompt question!'

I had spent most of my time working on the essay just analyzing it and planning it out. I couldn't have possibly gone that off track. I press my thumb firmly on the top right corner. Sure enough, my name was there. But as I read over the paper, I realize just how awful it was. The grammar and spelling is barely detectable as being written in English. Also, my sentence structure and wording is about the same complexity as a second grader. Maybe even worse.

"What's wrong, Wendy?" Vincent asks, seeing my expression.

"I did really bad," I groan.

"How many time do I have to tell you? A B+ is good, it's pretty much an A," Vincent sighs.

"No, I'm serious this time. It's really bad."

Vincent takes the paper from me and scans over it. His face contorted into the same shape as mine.

"There's no way this is your paper."

"Well it is. My name is printed on it."

"That's so weird. You never wrote like this before."

"I don't know," I shrug. "Maybe it's because I've been distracted lately."

"What for?"

Because Maddy superglued herself to you ever since she moved back here.

"I miss summer. That's all."

"Well, you should talk to the teacher about this. It's definitely not your paper."

"Maybes you accidentally printed your draft," Maddy suggests, suddenly joining the conversation.

"I edit on my draft."

"Just say that you accidentally printed your draft. She'll probably let you turn in anode one since you're such a good student," Vincent urges.

"I don't know... Isn't that academic dishonesty?"

"Like you never cheated before," Maddy laughs, with slight undertones of a scoff.

"I never cheated," I confirmed.

"Come on, we all know you don't get good grades like that without cheating," Maddy doubtfully replies.

"If I studied, I wouldn't need to."

"Wendy never cheats, Maddy," Vincent retorts.

"Jeez, I was joking. Don't need to get pissed off," Maddy laughs off the tense air around us and proudly beams at her paper with an A+ written at the top.

Vincent turns back to me. "Just go ask her."

"I don't know if I should be lying. Maybe I could just say I want to get a higher grade."

"You have no problem lying to me. Why are you scared to do it now?"

"I don't lie to you," I lie.

"Fine, just talk to the teacher."

I nod and make my way to the front of the classroom. The teacher is tapping away on her phone, and I stand quietly for a while until she sees me while looking for her iced coffee.