Binge-Eating Buddy

"Wendy, you have to try this on!" Vivian squeals in excitement. She shoves a bright red dress in front of me. It's short and skin-tight.

"I think it suits you better. You look good in red," I refuse.

"I always wear red, I'm trying to switch it up this year," she pouts, looking at the dress, which I know she badly wants to wear anyways.

"How about something cute? Like this!" Olivia picks a ruffled, peach dress.

"No thanks." I shake.

"Something more sexy?" Evelyn smirks, holding a strapless leather black dress with a really low cut back.

"No way."

"Something sparkly?" Ally shoves a glittery dress into my hands and they immediately get itchy.

"Don't worry about me and buy your dresses. I'll just wear my prom dress again."

"NO!" They shout together.

"What's wrong?"

"You can't wear the same dress twice!" Ally gasps.

"Each dress should have only a specific memory associated with it," Vivian agrees with Ally.

"Meaning?" I ask.

"You should only think of that prom night when you look at the dress Vincent got you," Evelyn further explains.

"So I'm just supposed to keep that dress in my closet to look at it?"

"Correct," they all nod.

"Just find your dresses already! I'm hungry," I whine. They give up on trying to persuade me into wearing the dresses they choose, and start searching for their own.

"By the way, Olivia and I are going as a couple this year. You can't third-wheel us again, Vivian," Evelyn alerts her.

"Don't worry. I have a date."

"Really?" Olivia jumps excitedly to know. "Who? Who? WHO?"

Vivian answers with no enthusiasm,"Logan and I decided to go as friends. Usually Luke asks a girl out and her friend goes with him. But since Luke is going with Maddy, Logan ended up without a date."

"Wow, Logan is usually so quiet except around his brother. I'm surprised he was gutsy enough to ask you out," Ally ponders.

"He didn't. I asked him," Vivian refutes.

"Wait, so you like him?" Evelyn slyly smiles, nudging Vivian in the arm.

"I'm not saying anything about who I like anymore. Things get complicated and messy that way," Vivian refuses to tell.

"What do you mean?" Evelyn whines.

"You know...last year...Vincent..."

"Vivian, I don't want you to still feel guilty about that. It was my fault for not being assertive with you," I frown. "We should still talk about things with each other as friends."

"It's not that. I just want to be more mature now. If I'm interested, I'll tell that person," Vivian insists, smiling.

"Alrighty then," Evelyn agrees, surprisingly not pestering Vivian any further.