Sandwiches and Vegetables

What the heck am I doing?

I stand awkwardly in front of Maddy's house, not having rung the door bell or knocked on the door. Pacing back and forth, I debate between going home or finally ringing the bell. Suddenly, Vincent's garage door next door starts to open.

I hear Veronica's voice ask, "You're going to fix my bike right?"

"I'm going to try to. Don't get mad if I can't," Vincent responds. They're still inside the garage, but I hear the wheels of Veronica's bike grow louder as they roll it outside onto the driveway.

"Did you buy me new wheels?"

"No, I'm just going to take off your training wheels."

"What? No!" Veronica protests.

"You need to learn how to ride a big-girl bike," Vincent insists.

"No! I like the little wheels."

"I'll buy you ice cream if you ride on two wheels by the end of today."

"Really?"

"Yep!"

I didn't realize this while listening in on their conversation, but I was crouching down, hiding my head behind a tall row of bushes beside's Maddy's patio.

Why am I hiding anyways?

The door swings open and I jump in surprise.

"Can I help you?" Maddy's mom asks, annoyed. Her eyes are swollen and puffy and her face is pale, as if her energy's been completely drained from crying.

"Sorry," I apologize, standing up straighter but still bending my head down a bit.

"Why do you keep standing outside our door?"

"Oh, um..." My mind blanks.

"If don't leave, I'll call the cops-"

"Oh, no. I'm just here to see Maddy," I quickly confess.

"Why?" she bluntly asks. "Are you the one who gave her those scratches on her face?" she glares at me, her voice getting a bit shrill.

"No, I was just getting worried since Maddy hasn't been at school lately," I explain.

Maddy's mom eyes me suspiciously. "She doesn't want to talk to anyone right now."

"Can I just talk to her for a bit? It won't take long-"

"She won't talk to you. She hasn't been talking to anyone, not even us and we're her parents," Maddy's mom turns me down.

"Well, I have her homework assignments," I say, slipping off one strap of my backpack and swinging it around before unzipping it to reveal a fat stack of papers crammed into a folder.

"I'll give them to her," Maddy's mom holds out her hand, more commanding than offering. I look helplessly and slowly give up the folder. She's about to close the door when I attempt to convice her again.

"Some of the assignments in there are really confusing!" I blurt out. "I'm not sure you'll how to explain them to her."

"Do you think I'm stupid or something? Of course I can," Maddy's mom retorts, irritated.

"Sorry, I didn't mean it that way." I pause to carefully phrase before speaking, "There's a review on matrices in there and everyone is class was a bit confused on it. I'm worried Maddy will get confused too."

"Ma-ma-" Maddy's mom tries to recall what it is. "What did you say?"

"It's math," I simplify my word choice.