What Really Matters

I jam a few random sweaters into my backpack along with a couple of jeans, a pair of sweatpants, and a hand-full of socks and underwear.

Like last fall break, we're going to stay in the mountains for a week. Though, I'm not sure what we can do. There's the annual fair, but that's about it. Most of us will probably spending most of our time at the pool or shopping. I won't be doing either of those things, probably just tagging along to eat snacks.

Despite my friend's concern with the rumors, I convinced them to let me invite Greg along. Besides, he was kind enough to invite me to the amusement park. The least I could do is to not let him spend a whole week alone in his apartment.

With a grand total of eleven people this time, since Greg, Ally, and Maddy are coming as well, Carson's aunt decided to spare us two large rooms this time- one for the boys and one for the girls. Also, because Carson's parents asked for it specifically.

There's a knock on my door.

"Come in," I say, trying to zip up my backpack, which is nearly ripping from the overflowing clothes.

"Ready to go?" Wren asks, a duffel bag slung over her shoulder.

"Where are you going?"

"With you, duh."

"What? When did we agree on this?"

"Just now," Wren replies, leaning against my door frame.

"What's going on?" Vincent appears from the hallway.

"Wren says she's going with us," I update Vincent, still confused.

"Yeah...your dad says you can't go without her," Vincent explains.

"You knew about this?"

"I didn't think you would care."

"I don't. But-"

"Don't worry. I'm not to crash your make-out sessions. I'm just coming because I want to go zip-lining. You guys won't even know I'm there," Wren reassures me.

"I'm not worried you about interrupting anything..." I blush. "I don't even think you can zip-line without an adult! I can't be watching you every second to make sure you're not falling to you death somewhere."

"You don't have to watch Wren. I'm sending her to watch you," Dad suddenly appears as well.

When did family meetings start happening in my room?

"I don't need to be watched. I'm the older one," I sigh.

"Clearly you do. I didn't even know you went to California with that actor kid."

"That's because-"

"Enough said. I just need to start doing my job as a parent. I've been letting you guys run loose and free too much."

"And you decided that because of me? But not when Wren broke Greg's nose playing hopscotch?" I ask, exasperated.

"I can't control the fact that Wren's a mutant-"

"Hey!" Wren shouts, slightly offended but smirking with pride.

"Plus..." Dad clears his throat, "I need Wren to keep an eye on you two..." He glances at Vincent and then at me.

"You didn't care last year."

"Didn't you only go with your friends last year?" Dad's eyes widen and his face reddens.

"Sure..." I lie on the spot, just now realizing he never knew I went with boys as well. It was probably because I asked him in a middle of a sports game, when he has the tendency to just ignore people and nod so they would eventually go away.