The Funeral

I sit on my bed, in a black room at three in the morning. I can't sleep, not even a wink. Today is my dads funeral. I hear my door creak open. "Oh your awake" I hear a familiar voice whisper, I just can't see the face. I shuffle over and turn the lamp on. "Oh hey Jake" I say monotone. "Do you need anything?" I ask. "Uh wanna go for a drive with me?" He asks. "Sure, do I need to change?" I ask him. "That's up to you" He tells me. "Ok give me ten minutes" I say. He nods closing my door. I climb out of my bed and over to my wardrobe.

I change into a red hoodie and dark blue jeans, along with my slip on checkered vans. "You ready?" Jake asks leaning against the kitchen island jingling the keys in his hand. I nod. "Which car?" I ask not recognising the keys. "You choose" he says showing me two sets of keys. "Lambo?" I ask his permission. "Sure" he shrugs. We walk outside, the cold breeze hitting us. "It's definitely getting colder at nights" I mumble quietly. "Where are we going?" I ask Jake. "No idea" he shrugs climbing into the drivers seat of the blue Lamborghini.

I sit watching the empty roads, closed black stores with no lights and the street lights brightening up the empty streets. The full moon shines down. "See the stars?" Jake asks breaking the silence. "Yep" I say admiring them. So small yet so strong. "Every night they shine bright, it's Brad giving you warmth, every night they glow, it's Bradley holding you when your low, he is in the stars and in the world around us, his spirit never left us, just his figure" Jake says in a quiet whisper. I rest my head against the head rest and face him, he keeps his focus on the road. "Where are we going?" I ask. "Where ever the stars take us" Jake tells me.

We drive around in a comfortable silence for the next hour. I open my eyes after feeling the car stop. I look straight in front of me and see a beach, dimly lit by the moon and stars. "Come on" Jake whispers. He takes off his shoes as places them in the car, I do the same and follow him onto the cold sandy beach. We walk in silence, no words needed.

We walk out of the funeral home, nobody said anything. He's gone. Forever.