A Trial of Extremes

Falling through the sky like a feather on the wind,  Bai Qian saw and felt nothing as her head was thrown back with her body.  

White.  Her entire sight was taken as the lightening bolt struck and as she fell, every memory of her identity was immediately wiped from her mind and her powers stripped from her.    

Nothing.  She felt nothing as she fell.  Her body was weightless, formless and devoid of all emotions, she merely drifted seeing nothing and knowing nothing.

Her dress fluttered and billowed out about her body as the wind slowly carried her downwards.  The warmth of the wind offered safety and peace, and as she continued to fall, the softness of the wind in her ears kept her calm until eventually she was laid to rest on solid ground. 

With her eyes open, she lay quietly enveloped in white light that just as quietly held her in its warm embrace.  She felt her mouth curve upwards as the whiteness continued to keep her calm until her eyes closed and a warm sleep took hold.

________

 Cold.  It was the first thing she noticed when her eyes slowly fluttered open.  Sitting up slowly she looked around.  The wind was ice cold, and dressed in such thin layers of cloth, she felt it keenly.  Immediately her arms raised to rub away the goose bumps that were quickly forming on her skin as she took in her surroundings.

She was in the middle of what looked to be a dense lush forest. Night had already fallen so it explained why she was so cold, but as she looked in all directions, it seemed as if she were the only one there.  There didn't even seem to be any nocturnal animals about, not even owls which one would expect to hear in a forest so deep.

With no memories of her past life to fall back on or even a care in the world, she merely stood and took stock of the situation.  She was cold, she knew that much and the light silk and lace dress she was wearing, was barely keeping her covered let alone warm.  So taking a few tentative steps, she heard nothing.  So taking a few more tentative steps with her eyes trained on everything around her to see if her movement awoke anything sleeping,  it seemed as if she really was alone.  With only warmth on her mind, she decided to walk.  At least it would keep her mind busy as she warmed herself up and not really expecting to meet anyone, she hoped she would find somewhere to rest or perhaps a dwelling of kind.

The forest was so thick with bramble, ferns and tree roots that walking was difficult, but being sure footed and with a full moon overhead to light the way, she soon found herself in an area of the forest that wasn't too thick.  The trees rose straight up to the sky and with only nettle on the soft ground, the going became much easier. 

Stopping, she looked about.  There was very little in the way of vegetation, only the tall straight trees that gathered thickly in that area of the forest were the only living things to look at, yet despite the lack of color or even life, it actually felt safer to her than the thick lushness that she had just left behind, and that was because the moon was lighting it all up brilliantly.  No matter which direction she looked, she could clearly see everything in detail.  

There was also no wind, so that particular area was much warmer, that she felt as if she were in a safe place.  But she still needed somewhere to stay the night and perhaps find some food, she thought to herself.  

So walking about that area of the forest, it wasn't too long before she stumbled upon a set of low steps that led up into what looked to be a cave which immediately brought her to a halt.  

Steps would suggest someone made the cave or at least made the steps that led into it, she thought to herself.  But there didn't seem to be any life there at all.  Maybe they're asleep, she thought to herself.