• 2 •

It Has To Be Steroids 

At sunrise I decided to give up on sleeping. I curled up by the bay windows, watching the sky get lighter. 

My thoughts kept me up for hours while the nightmares ensued after that. I was just thankful I didn't scream and wake up my parents, or Colton. 

The shrill ringing coming from my phone told me it was 6:30 a.m. I sighed and got up from the windows, time to get ready for school. 

I ignored the nerves as I got ready. While I wanted to put on an amazing outfit and have my makeup and hair in perfect condition, I knew that wasn't me. I wanted to be a new person but having to pretend to be someone else everyday wasn't the right thing to do-it would be more exhausting than freeing. 

I continuously tried to reassure myself by thinking that it was just a regular day of school, that I'd been going to La Push High for years now. 

I gathered my turquoise notebook and pens into a bag, swinging it onto my shoulder.

Walking into the kitchen, I saw my parents eating breakfast. 

"Morning." I spoke, hanging my bag on the chair and putting two pop-tarts in the toaster. 

"That's a healthy breakfast," My dad commented, watching me over the brim of his newspaper. 

"I know ,I know," I feigned joy, "It's a great source of protein." 

Colton stumbled into the room and collapsed in a chair, exhausted. 

"You good?" I asked, looking to him. 

He mumbled something incoherently. 

"Your brother stayed up late playing a video game," Our mom spoke, humor at the edge of her tone. 

He mumbled again. 

In response to this, I snatched the car keys, "I'm driving us to school, we can't afford a car accident our first day." 

The toaster popped up the pastry's.

"Let's go," I hit Colton's shoulder. 

My brother shot up just in time for me to shove a pop tart in his mouth. 

"Bye!" I smiled to my parents, pushing Cole out the door. 

We made it to the school easily. It was a fairly small town and simple to find the major buildings. And thankfully, our car blended in with the rest of the students' cars. 

Colton was finally awake, I think the nerves of our first day finally got to him. 

I looked over everyone in the lot. Curious, but also cautious. 

"Those guys are in high school?" Colton whispered shocked. 

"Who?" I asked, looking to where he was staring and I saw the same group from last night, minus Sam, but that Kim girl was tucked under Jared's arm. 

"It had to be steroids," I concluded. 

Colton smirked, but pushed forward, "Come on, let's find the office."

We headed down the halls and found the office tucked in the corner room. 

"Hi!" Colton immediately spoke, "I'm Colton Saunders and this is Aurora Saunders, we're new." 

"Oh!" The receptionist breathed, rifling through papers, "Welcome to LaPush High, here are your schedules and locker combos, with a map for the school. Do you have any questions?"