• 17 •

You Can't Fix Everyone

Miraculously, I somehow convinced Bella to spend more time on the reservation. Charlie, of course, had no problem with this as it mean Bella was out of the house and I think Bella enjoyed the freedom, with the underlying hint of safety of us being grounded to an area we both began to know.

But as we walked along the beach, randomly browsing through conversation, something she accidentally let slip, sparked my overprotective nature into full drive. 

"Excuse me?" I pressed, narrowing my eyes at the girl. "You were thinking of doing what?" 

"There were these two motor bikes that were gonna be broken down into scrap metal," She shrugged her shoulders, "I figured restoring them could be a little project to help me reconnect with an old family friend here." 

"Motor bikes," I let out a scoff at how incredibly reckless this girl was. Maybe Paul was right in some aspects, Bella was a bit of a danger magnet. "You do realize driving those with no experience is incredibly dangerous." 

"My friend has some," She shrugged unbothered. 

My curiosity once again bested me, "What friend." 

"Jacob-"

"Black? Jacob Black?" 

Her curt nod of confirmation had my eyes fluttering closed in slight dread. 

God, here we go. 

"What's wrong with Jacob?" Bella pressed, not missing my evident distaste. 

My lip was then brought between my teeth. While I didn't want to speak ill of her friend, it was almost my responsibility to pass along the warning. 

"He's been having some issues with his anger," I phrased slowly, "He's been lashing out a bit more...at practically everything."

"Really?" She inquired. "He seemed fine when I saw him a few months back." 

I shrugged, knowing I couldn't reveal the full truth, "He's just been a little more aggressive as of lately." 

Bella must have been able to feel the tension, despite the fact she pressed on, "Well I was thinking of dropping by his place tomorrow." 

"I say be a little wary at first."

 I tried to be nonchalant about the whole situation, but truthfully I wanted to call Sam and have him put up a blockade in front of Jacob's house in order to protect my friend. 

•••••

Soon after, Bella left to go meet up with Jacob so I headed back to my house. Even though I had only been out for a few hours this morning, I had hardly been spending any time home since I met Paul and the others and I really didn't need to give my family any more ammunition to hate him. 

So there I was, homework sprawled all over the kitchen table while my mom was typing away at her laptop.

My dad was out with Cole shopping for groceries and for that I was glad. Ever since my fight with Cole, I've barely talked to either of them. However, my dad did apologize for the whole incident but not for his dislike of Paul, not surprising.